The Road to Sustainable Growth in Emerging Markets: The Role of Structural and Monetary Policies in Turkey
The last decade witnessed an unprecedented economic growth in Emerging Market Economies (EMEs). EMEs have also been the main drivers of growth in the recovery following the global financial crisis. Nevertheless, EMEs continue to face a number of institutional and structural challenges that may pose risks to the sustainability of their recent growth performance, with potentially significant repercussions for the world economy. In this paper, we present a detailed account of Turkey’s experience in dealing with various institutional and structural challenges during the last decade and provide evidence that taking the right steps can enable EMEs materialize their full growth potential going forward. Successful institutional and structural reforms can also provide room for monetary policymakers to effectively navigate their economies through turbulent times such as the recent global financial crisis.
|Date of creation:||26 Feb 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Turhan, Ibrahim M., 2008. "Why did it work this time: a comparative analysis of transformation of Turkish economy after 2002," MPRA Paper 31158, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2010.
"Growth in a Time of Debt,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 100(2), pages 573-78, May.
- Reinhart, Carmen M. & Rogoff, Kenneth S., 2010. "Growth in a Time of Debt," Scholarly Articles 11129154, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2010. "Growth in a Time of Debt," NBER Working Papers 15639, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reinhart, Carmen M. & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2010. "Growth in a Time of Debt," CEPR Discussion Papers 7661, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Abbasoğlu, Osman Furkan & Aysan, Ahmet Faruk & Gunes, Ali, 2007.
"Concentration, Competition, Efficiency and Profitability of the Turkish Banking Sector in the Post-Crises Period,"
5494, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ahmet Faruk Aysan & Ali Gunes & Osman Furkan Abbasoglu, 2007. "Concentration, Competition, Efficiency and Profitability of the Turkish Banking Sector in the Post-Crises Period," Working Papers 2007/20, Bogazici University, Department of Economics.
- Akin, Guzin Gulsun & Aysan, Ahmet Faruk & Yildiran, Levent, 2008. "Transformation of the Turkish Financial Sector in the Aftermath of the 2001 Crisis," MPRA Paper 17803, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- H. Al & Ahmet Faruk Aysan, 2006.
"Assessing the Preconditions in Establishing an Independent Regulatory and Supervisory Agency in Globalized Financial Markets: The Case of Turkey,"
2006/06, Bogazici University, Department of Economics.
- Aysan, Ahmet Faruk & Al, Huseyin, 2006. "Assessing the Preconditions in Establishing an Independent Regulatory and Supervisory Agency in Globalized Financial Markets: The Case of Turkey," MPRA Paper 5481, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mustafa Kilinç & Zübeyir Kilinç & M. Ibrahim Turhan, 2012. "Resilience of the Turkish Economy During the Global Financial Crisis of 2008," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 48(S5), pages 19-34, November.
- Åsa Johansson & Yvan Guillemette & Fabrice Murtin & David Turner & Giuseppe Nicoletti & Christine de la Maisonneuve & Guillaume Bousquet & Francesca Spinelli, 2012. "Looking to 2060: Long-Term Global Growth Prospects: A Going for Growth Report," OECD Economic Policy Papers 3, OECD Publishing.
- Turhan, Ibrahim M. & Kilinc, Zubeyir, 2011. "Turkey's response to the global economic crisis," MPRA Paper 31214, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ahmet Faruk Aysan & Mustafa Mete Karakaya & Metin Uyanik, 2011. "Panel stochastic frontier analysis of profitability and efficiency of turkish banking sector in the post crisis era," Journal of Business Economics and Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(4), pages 629-654, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:44730. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.