Broadband adoption and firm productivity: evidence from Irish manufacturing firms
We estimate the effects of adopting DSL broadband on firm productivity and productivity growth allowing for differing broadband speeds. We use a two-stage least squares estimator with geographical broadband availability as an instrument to address some potential endogeneity problems in a panel of Irish manufacturing firms. While more productive firms are on average more likely to be using DSL broadband, we find no statistically signicant effect of broadband adoption on firms' productivity (growth).
|Date of creation:||Aug 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arthur Grimes & Cleo Ren & Philip Stevens, 2012.
"The need for speed: impacts of internet connectivity on firm productivity,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 187-201, April.
- Arthur Grimes & Cleo Ren & Philip Stevens, 2009. "The Need for Speed: Impacts of Internet Connectivity on Firm Productivity," Working Papers 09_15, Motu Economic and Public Policy Research.
- Tobias Kretschmer, 2012. "Information and Communication Technologies and Productivity Growth: A Survey of the Literature," OECD Digital Economy Papers 195, OECD Publishing.
- Bronwyn HOWELL & Arthur GRIMES, 2010. "Productivity Questions for Public Sector Fast Fibre Network Financiers," Communications & Strategies, IDATE, Com&Strat dept., vol. 1(78), pages 127-146, 2nd quart.
- Czernich, Nina & Falck, Oliver & Kretschmer, Tobias & Wößmann, Ludger, 2011.
"Broadband Infrastructure and Economic Growth,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
20033, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Mirko Draca & Raffaella Sadun & John Van Reenen, 2006.
"Productivity and ICT: a review of the evidence,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
4561, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Bertschek, Irene & Cerquera, Daniel & Klein, Gordon J., 2011.
"More bits - more bucks? Measuring the impact of broadband internet on firm performance,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
11-032, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Bertschek, Irene & Cerquera, Daniel & Klein, Gordon J., 2013. "More bits - more bucks? Measuring the impact of broadband internet on firm performance," DICE Discussion Papers 86, Heinrich‐Heine‐Universität Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE).
- Rachel Griffith & Stephen Redding & Helen Simpson, 2009. "Technological Catch-Up And Geographic Proximity," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(4), pages 689-720.
- van Ark, Bart, 1998. "Productivity," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 171-174, June.
- Holt, Lynne & Jamison, Mark, 0. "Broadband and contributions to economic growth: Lessons from the US experience," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(10-11), pages 575-581, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:42626. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.