Broadband adoption and firm productivity: evidence from Irish manufacturing firms
We estimate the effects of adopting DSL broadband on firm productivity and productivity growth allowing for differing broadband speeds. We use a two-stage least squares estimator with geographical broadband availability as an instrument to address some potential endogeneity problems in a panel of Irish manufacturing firms. While more productive firms are on average more likely to be using DSL broadband, we find no statistically signicant effect of broadband adoption on firms' productivity (growth).
|Date of creation:||Aug 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arthur Grimes & Cleo Ren & Philip Stevens, 2009.
"The Need for Speed: Impacts of Internet Connectivity on Firm Productivity,"
09_15, Motu Economic and Public Policy Research.
- Arthur Grimes & Cleo Ren & Philip Stevens, 2012. "The need for speed: impacts of internet connectivity on firm productivity," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 187-201, April.
- Mirko Draca & Raffaella Sadun & John Van Reenen, 2006.
"Productivity and ICT: A Review of the Evidence,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0749, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Czernich, Nina & Falck, Oliver & Kretschmer, Tobias & Wößmann, Ludger, 2011.
"Broadband Infrastructure and Economic Growth,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
20033, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Bertschek, Irene & Cerquera, Daniel & Klein, Gordon J., 2013.
"More bits - more bucks? Measuring the impact of broadband internet on firm performance,"
DICE Discussion Papers
86, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE), University of Düsseldorf.
- Bertschek, Irene & Cerquera, Daniel & Klein, Gordon J., 2011. "More bits - more bucks? Measuring the impact of broadband internet on firm performance," ZEW Discussion Papers 11-032, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Bronwyn HOWELL & Arthur GRIMES, 2010. "Productivity Questions for Public Sector Fast Fibre Network Financiers," Communications & Strategies, IDATE, Com&Strat dept., vol. 1(78), pages 127-146, 2nd quart.
- Holt, Lynne & Jamison, Mark, 0. "Broadband and contributions to economic growth: Lessons from the US experience," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(10-11), pages 575-581, November.
- Rachel Griffith & Stephen Redding & Helen Simpson, 2009. "Technological Catch-Up And Geographic Proximity," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(4), pages 689-720.
- Tobias Kretschmer, 2012. "Information and Communication Technologies and Productivity Growth: A Survey of the Literature," OECD Digital Economy Papers 195, OECD Publishing.
- van Ark, Bart, 1998. "Productivity," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 171-174, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:42626. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.