Evolution of the venture capital financing for growing small and medium enterprises in Central and Eastern Europe countries: the case of Macedonia
The objective of this paper is to examine and analyze the differences between Venture Capital development in Macedonia and several Central and Eastern Europe countries, to determine the reasons, and hence extract certain conclusions that will serve as a guideline in Macedonia’s venture capital industry development. Venture capital is an important intermediary in financial markets, providing capital to firms who otherwise have difficulties attracting financial support. Moreover, venture capital funds provide managerial expertise to the company they are investing in, and have impact on the overall economy through innovation, job creation, economic growth, increased competition and improved corporate governance. Private equity and Venture capital funds are present for over 20 years in Central and Eastern Europe. The institutional investors evaluate the individual countries’ attractiveness to identify the best investment opportunities for their asset allocation. On the basis of the performed analysis in this paper regarding the PE/VC fundraising and investment activities, conducted interviews, and Country Attractiveness Index (including the economic activities, depth of capital market, taxation, investor protection and corporate governance, human and social environment and entrepreneurial culture and opportunities), Macedonian small and medium size enterprises are obviously not on the PE/VC investors` map, according to the small amount of their investments up to now.
|Date of creation:||May 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lee, Sang M. & Peterson, Suzanne J., 2000. "Culture, entrepreneurial orientation, and global competitiveness," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 401-416, January.
- Roger H. Gordon & Julie Berry Cullen, 2002. "Taxes and Entrepreneurial Activity: Theory and Evidence for the U.S," NBER Working Papers 9015, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ansgar Belke & Rainer Fehn & Neil Foster, 2003.
"Does Venture Capital Investment Spur Employment Growth?,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
930, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ansgar Belke & Rainer Fehn & Neil Foster, 2003. "Does Venture Capital Investment Spur Employment Growth?," Vienna Economics Papers 0303, University of Vienna, Department of Economics.
- Djankov, Simeon & La Porta, Rafael & Shleifer, Andrei & Lopez de Silanes, Florencio, 2001.
"The regulation of entry,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2661, The World Bank.
- Simeon Djankov & Rafael La Porta & Florencio LopezdeSilanes & Andrei Shleifer, 2000. "The Regulation of Entry," NBER Working Papers 7892, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Djankov, Simeon & La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei, 2001. "The Regulation of Entry," Working Paper Series rwp01-015, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Simeon Djankov & Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andre Shleifer, 2000. "The Regulation of Entry," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1904, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Djankov, Simeon & La Porta, Rafael & López-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei, 2001. "The Regulation of Entry," CEPR Discussion Papers 2953, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Simeon Djankov & Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, "undated". "The Regulation of Entry," Working Paper 19462, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Simeon Djankov & Tim Ganser & Caralee McLiesh & Rita Ramalho & Andrei Shleifer, 2008.
"The Effect of Corporate Taxes on Investment and Entrepreneurship,"
NBER Working Papers
13756, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Simeon Djankov & Tim Ganser & Caralee McLiesh & Rita Ramalho & Andrei Shleifer, 2010. "The Effect of Corporate Taxes on Investment and Entrepreneurship," American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics, American Economic Association, vol. 2(3), pages 31-64, July.
- Rmalho, Rita & Ganser, Tim Christian & Shleifer, Andrei & McLiesh, Caralee & Djankov, Simeon, 2010. "The Effect of Corporate Taxes on Investment and Entrepreneurship," Scholarly Articles 8705900, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Samuel Kortum & Josh Lerner, 2000. "Assessing the Contribution of Venture Capital to Innovation," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 31(4), pages 674-692, Winter.
- Bruce, Donald, 2000. "Effects of the United States tax system on transitions into self-employment," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(5), pages 545-574, September.
- Engel, Dirk, 2002. "The Impact of Venture Capital on Firm Growth: An Empirical Investigation," ZEW Discussion Papers 02-02, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Astrid Romain & Bruno Van Pottelsberghe, 2004.
"The determinants of venture capital: a panel data analysis of 16 OECD countries,"
Working Papers CEB
04-015.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Romain, Astrid & Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, Bruno van, 2003. "The Determinants of Venture Capital: A Panel Data Analysis of 16 OECD Countries," IIR Working Paper 03-25, Institute of Innovation Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Black, Bernard S. & Gilson, Ronald J., 1998. "Venture capital and the structure of capital markets: banks versus stock markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 243-277, March.
- Rainer Fehn & Thomas Fuchs, 2003. "Capital Market Institutions and Venture Capital: Do They Affect Unemployment and Labour Demand?," CESifo Working Paper Series 898, CESifo Group Munich.
- Cumming, Douglas & Fleming, Grant & Schwienbacher, Armin, 2006. "Legality and venture capital exits," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 214-245, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:41997. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.