Modelling gender dimensions of the impact of economic reforms on time allocation among market, household, and leisure activities in Pakistan
Developing countries are increasingly concerned about gender dimensions of the impacts of economic reforms initiated under structural adjustment and stabilization programmes. This article develops a gendered Computable General Equilibrium model based on the notions of production in paid economy and unpaid care economy pioneered by Fontana and Wood and applies it to Pakistan. The study assesses the impact of two types of shocks: trade liberalisation and fiscal adjustment. Results support the contention that trade liberalisation in the presence of compensatory measure over burden women but reduces income-based poverty by all measures. In all other exercises employment in market sectors reduces. The study concludes that despite changes in structure of market employment, gender division of labour remains unequal within household economy.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2004|
|Date of revision:||Dec 2005|
|Publication status:||Published in The Pakistan Development Review 4:Part II (winter 2005).44(2005): pp. 615-639|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pyatt, Graham, 1990. "Accounting for Time Use," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 36(1), pages 33-52, March.
- Rizwana Siddiqui & A. R. Kemal, 2006.
"Remittances, Trade Liberalisation, and Poverty in Pakistan : The Role of Excluded Variables in Poverty Change Analysis,"
Development Economics Working Papers
22224, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Rizwana Siddiqui & A. R. Kemal, 2006. "Remittances, Trade Liberalisation, and Poverty in Pakistan: The Role of Excluded Variables in Poverty Change Analysis," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 45(3), pages 383-415.
- Rizwana Siddiqui & A. R. Kemal, 2006. "Remittances, Trade Liberalisation, and Poverty in Pakistan: The Role of Excluded Variables in Poverty Change Analysis," PIDE-Working Papers 2006:1, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
- Siddiqui, Rizwana & Kemal, A.R., 2002. "Remittances, trade liberalisation, and poverty in Pakistan: The role of excluded variables in poverty change analysis," MPRA Paper 4228, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Oct 2006.
- Rehana Siddiqui & Rizwana Siddiqui & Zafar Iqbal, 1999. "The Impact of Tariff Reforms on Income Distribution in Pakistan: A CGE-based Analysis," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 38(4), pages 789-804.
- Moser, Caroline O. N., 1989. "Gender planning in the third world: Meeting practical and strategic gender needs," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 17(11), pages 1799-1825, November.
- Channing Arndt & Finn Tarp, 2008. "Trade Policy Reform and the Missing Revenue †," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 17(1), pages 131-160, January.
- Foster, James & Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "A Class of Decomposable Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 761-66, May.
- Howard White, 2005.
"Child Poverty in Vietnam: Using Adult Equivalence Scales to Estimate Income-Poverty for Different Age Groups,"
Development and Comp Systems
- White, Howard & Masset, Edoardo, 2002. "Child poverty in Vietnam: using adult equivalence scales to estimate income-poverty for different age groups," MPRA Paper 777, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Arndt, Channing & Tarp, Finn, 2003. "Trade Policy Reform and the Missing Revenue: A Gendered Analysis for Mozambique," MPRA Paper 62441, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Decaluwe, B. & Patry, A. & Savard, L. & Thorbecke, E., 1999.
"Poverty Analysis Within a General Equilibrium Framework,"
9909, Laval - Recherche en Politique Economique.
- Decaluwe, B. & Patry, A. & Savard, L. & Thorbecke, E., 1999. "Poverty Analysis Within a General Equilibrium Framework," Cahiers de recherche 9909, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:4197. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.