An Assessment of the Impact of Trade Liberalisation on Welfare in Pakistan: A General Equilibrium Analysis
Using Computable General Equilibrium Model, this paper assesses the impact of import liberalisation on macro aggregates and on the welfare of households. It uses benchmark data from Social Accounting Matrix for the year 1989-90 and simulates the impact of (i) removal of quota restrictions on imports of electric and non-electric equipment and transport equipment, (ii) reduction in import tariffs, and (iii) reduction in quota and tariff restriction in the presence of economic growth. The results of these simulation exercises indicate that reduction in quantitative restrictions on imports improves welfare of employees’ group of households in the urban areas. Welfare gain is the highest for the poorest group of households in the rural areas. Similarly, tariff reduction benefits employees more and (in the rural areas) than it does the medium-size landholders.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.pide.org.pkEmail:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wood, Adrian, 1998. "Globalisation and the Rise in Labour Market Inequalities," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(450), pages 1463-82, September.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:19980058 is not listed on IDEAS
- Decaluwe, B. & Patry, A. & Savard, L. & Thorbecke, E., 1999.
"Poverty Analysis Within a General Equilibrium Framework,"
9909, Laval - Recherche en Politique Economique.
- Decaluwe, B. & Patry, A. & Savard, L. & Thorbecke, E., 1999. "Poverty Analysis Within a General Equilibrium Framework," Cahiers de recherche 9909, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521319867 is not listed on IDEAS
- Rizwana Siddiqui & Zafar Iqbal, 1999. "Social Accounting Matrix of Pakistan for 1989-90," PIDE-Working Papers 1999:171, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521266550 is not listed on IDEAS
- Thorbecke, Erik & Berrian, David, 1992. "Budgetary rules to minimize societal poverty in a general equilibrium context," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 189-205, October.
- Zafar Iqbal & Rizwana Siddiqui, 1998. "The Impact of Structural Adjustment on Income Distribution in Pakistan A SAM-based Analysis," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 37(4), pages 377-397.
- Rashid Amjad & A.R. Kemal, 1997. "Macroeconomic Policies and their Impact on Poverty Alleviation in Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 36(1), pages 39-68.
- Moore, Mick & Leavy, Jennifer & Houtzager, Peter & White, Howard, 1999. "Polity qualities: how governance affects poverty," MPRA Paper 9467, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hine, Robert C & Wright, Peter W, 1998. "Trade with Low Wage Economies, Employment and Productivity in UK Manufacturing," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(450), pages 1500-1510, September.
- White, H., 1997. "The economic and social impact of adjustment in Africa : further empirical analysis," ISS Working Papers - General Series 18987, International Institute of Social Studies of Erasmus University Rotterdam (ISS), The Hague.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pid:mimaps:2003:16. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Khurram Iqbal)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.