Tariff Reduction, Fiscal Adjustment and Poverty in Pakistan: a CGE-Based Analysis
After more than four decades of protective trade policy, Pakistan undertook substantial trade liberalization beginning in the 1990s. We assess the short- and long-run impacts of trade liberalization (full and partial) on household incomes, welfare, and poverty under various fiscal scenarios. A computable general equilibrium (CGE) model of the Pakistan economy for the year 1990 is used with 10 household categories (identified by employment status in urban areas and by land holdings in rural areas), 12 production activities, and two factors of production. Our general conclusion is that trade reform improves the average welfare of urban households but reduces the welfare of rural households. In both regions, the rich generally benefit, whereas the poor lose out. The fall in urban poverty dominates the increase in rural poverty such that overall poverty is reduced.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Pavillon J.A. De Seve, Québec, Québec, G1V 0A6|
Phone: 1-418-656-2131, ext. 2697
Web page: http://www.pep-net.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:pid:wpaper:1999:171 is not listed on IDEAS
- Dorosh, Paul & Niazi, Muhammad Khan, 2006.
"Social Accounting Matrix for Pakistan, 2001-02: Methodology and Results,"
2242, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Paul Dorosh & Muhammad Khan Niazi & Hina Nazli, 2006. "A Social Accounting Matrix for Pakistan, 2001-02 : Methodology and Results," Finance Working Papers 22187, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Siddiqui, Rizwana & Iqbal, Zafar, 1999. "TARIFF REDUCTION AND FUNCTIONAL INCOME DISTRIBUTION IN PAKISTAN: A CGE Analysis," MPRA Paper 6141, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Moore, Mick & Leavy, Jennifer & Houtzager, Peter & White, Howard, 1999. "Polity qualities: how governance affects poverty," MPRA Paper 9467, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Decaluwe, B. & Patry, A. & Savard, L. & Thorbecke, E., 1999.
"Poverty Analysis Within a General Equilibrium Framework,"
9909, Laval - Recherche en Politique Economique.
- Decaluwe, B. & Patry, A. & Savard, L. & Thorbecke, E., 1999. "Poverty Analysis Within a General Equilibrium Framework," Cahiers de recherche 9909, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- repec:pid:journl:v:36:y:1997:i:1:p:39-68 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:pid:journl:v:20:y:1981:i:1:p:1-36 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:pid:journl:v:38:y:1999:i:4:p:789-804 is not listed on IDEAS
- Thorbecke, Erik, 1991. "Adjustment, growth and income distribution in Indonesia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 19(11), pages 1595-1614, November.
- repec:pid:mimaps:2001:11 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:pid:wpaper:2006:1 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:pid:wpaper:2006:9 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lvl:mpiacr:2008-17. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Manuel Paradis)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.