Western Balkan’s trade with the EU and CEFTA-2006: Evidence from Macedonian data
The objective of this paper is to empirically examine the determinants of bilateral trade of Macedonia, with particular emphasis on the trade with the EU and CEFTA-2006 countries. The standard Gravity model is used to measure the determinants of the bilateral trade in a panel framework. Results suggest that Macedonian GDP per capita and foreign GDP per capita play significant role in explaining bilateral trade. When Macedonian trade with EU is investigated only, then domestic income has larger magnitude than compared to the entire sample. Importantly, no additional gains have been approximated from FTAs and from CEFTA-2006, in particular. Potential explanation of this can be the still existent non-tariff barriers across the SEE countries, in terms of the technical, sanitary and phyto-sanitary barriers to trade, the time and costs to export and import, improvement of infrastructure related to trade and so on.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Edward F. Buffie, 1992. "On the Condition for Export-Led Growth," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 25(1), pages 211-25, February.
- Juan Carlos Hallak & Jagadeesh Sivadasan, 2009.
"Firms' Exporting Behavior under Quality Constraints,"
09-13, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Juan Carlos Hallak & Jagadeesh Sivadasan, 2010. "Firms' Exporting Behavior under Quality Constraints," Working Papers 99, Universidad de San Andres, Departamento de Economia, revised Mar 2010.
- Hallak, Juan Carlos & Sivadasan, Jagadeesh, 2011. "Firms' Exporting Behavior under Quality Constraints," Working Papers 628, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Juan Carlos Hallak & Jagadeesh Sivadasan, 2009. "Firms' Exporting Behavior under Quality Constraints," NBER Working Papers 14928, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edward Christie, 2001.
"Potential Trade in Southeast Europe: A Gravity Model Approach,"
wiiw Balkan Observatory Working Papers
11, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Edward Christie, 2002. "Potential Trade in Southeast Europe: a Gravity Model Approach," wiiw Working Papers 21, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Judith A. Giles, & Cara L. Williams, 1999. "Export-led Growth: A Survey of the Empirical Literature and Some Noncausality Results," Econometrics Working Papers 9901, Department of Economics, University of Victoria.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2003.
"Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 93(1), pages 170-192, March.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2000. "Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 485, Boston College Department of Economics.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2001. "Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle," NBER Working Papers 8079, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Xu, Zhenhui, 1996. "On the Causality between Export Growth and GDP Growth: An Empirical Reinvestigation," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(2), pages 172-84, June.
- Matthieu Bussière & Jarko Fidrmuc & Bernd Schnatz, 2005.
"Trade Integration of Central and Eastern European Countries: Lessons from a Gravity Model,"
105, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Bussière, Matthieu & Fidrmuc, Jarko & Schnatz, Bernd, 2005. "Trade integration of Central and Eastern European countries: lessons from a gravity model," Working Paper Series 0545, European Central Bank.
- Sarafidis, Vasilis & Yamagata, Takashi & Robertson, Donald, 2009. "A test of cross section dependence for a linear dynamic panel model with regressors," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 148(2), pages 149-161, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:41942. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.