Planning, managing and implementing place/city marketing effectively: review and discussion of the last 25 years
One of the most interesting issues in the literature of urban studies, the last thirty years especially,, concern the significance of city marketing procedure on high degree of city competitiveness achievement. The basic questions arising refer to the effectiveness of city marketing and how it can be measured, to the ability of public local authorities to plan and implement promotion policies as well as to the determination of the prerequisites according to which the “final produced good”, which is the “city image”, can be promoted effectively to the potential target markets. The purpose of the paper is to provide some answers to the questions above by reviewing and discussing the main relevant arguments of the last 25 years.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:||2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Theodore Metaxas, 2008. "Place Marketing, Strategic Planning and Competitiveness: The Case of Malta," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(9), pages 1357-1378, March.
- Cecilia Wong, 1998. "Determining Factors for Local Economic Development: The Perception of Practitioners in the North West and Eastern Regions of the UK," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(8), pages 707-720.
- Paul Cheshire & G. Carbonaro, 1996. "Urban Economic Growth in Europe: Testing Theory and Policy Prescriptions," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 33(7), pages 1111-1128, August.
- Jolanta Dziembowska-Kowalska & Rolf H. Funck, 2000. "Cultural activities as a location factor in European competition between regions: Concepts and some evidence," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 34(1), pages 1-12.
- Edward L. Glaeser, Jed Kolko, and Albert Saiz, 2001.
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 1(1), pages 27-50, January.
- Ed Glaeser & Jed Kolko & Albert Saiz, 2000. "Consumer City," NBER Working Papers 7790, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Jed Kolko & Albert Saiz, 2000. "Consumer City," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1901, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- R Huggins, 1997. "Training and Enterprise Councils as Facilitators of a Networked Approach to Local Economic Development: Forms, Mechanisms, and Existing Interpretations," Environment and Planning C, SAGE Publishing, vol. 15(3), pages 273-284, September.
- Christian Longhi, 1999. "Networks, Collective Learning and Technology Development in Innovative High Technology Regions: The Case of Sophia-Antipolis," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(4), pages 333-342.
- Cheshire, Paul C. & Magrini, Stefano, 2002.
"The distinctive determinants of European urban growth: Does one size fit all?,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa02p100, European Regional Science Association.
- P. C. Cheshire & Stefano Magrini, 2002. "The distinctive determinants of European urban growth : does one size fit all?," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 569, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Alex Deffner & Theodore Metaxas, 2005. "Shaping the vision, the identity and the cultural image of European places," ERSA conference papers ersa05p696, European Regional Science Association.
- Christos Liouris & Alex Deffner, 2005. "City marketing - a significant planning tool for urban development in a globalised economy," ERSA conference papers ersa05p395, European Regional Science Association.
- M Barlow, 1997. "Administrative Systems and Metropolitan Regions," Environment and Planning C, SAGE Publishing, vol. 15(4), pages 399-411, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:41024. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.