The role of labour market and social protection in reducing inequality and eradicating poverty in Latin America
Latin America has experienced an unprecedented period of macroeconomic stability and high economic growth between 2003 and 2008. The main aim of this paper is to analyse to what extent these more favourable conditions have been an opportunity for Latin American countries to recover their labour markets and conduct a more active social policy. The paper discusses the contribution of the labour market and of the social protection system as effective mechanisms to overcome poverty and reduce income inequality. The conclusions state that, even though the labour market policy framework has changed, and now yields better outcomes, there are many more social and policy issues and challenges ahead than the ones that are usually acknowledged.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luis Beccaria & Roxana Maurizio & Ana Laura Fernandez & Paula Monsalvo & Mariana Alvarez, 2011. "Dynamics of Poverty, Labor Market and Public Policies in Latin America," Working Papers PMMA 2011-05, PEP-PMMA.
- Marcelo Medeiros & Tatiana Britto & Fabio Veras Soares, 2008. "Targeted Cash Transfer Programmes in Brazil: BPC and the Bolsa Familia," Working Papers 46, International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth.
- Maurício Cortez Reis & José Márcio Camargo, 2007. "Rendimentos Domiciliares com Aposentadorias e Pensões e as Decisões dos Jovens Quanto à Educação e à Participação na Força de Trabalho," Discussion Papers 1262, Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada - IPEA.
- Degol Hailu & Fabio Veras Soares, 2008. "Cash Transfers ? Lessons from Africa and Latin America," Poverty In Focus 15, International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth.
- repec:ilo:esbook:ebook11 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lerman, Robert I & Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1985. "Income Inequality Effects by Income," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(1), pages 151-56, February.
- Sergei Suarez Dillon Soares, 2006. "Distribuição de Renda no Brasil de 1976 a 2004 com Ênfase no Período Entre 2001 e 2004," Discussion Papers 1166, Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada - IPEA.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:39843. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.