Evaluating alternative frequentist inferential approaches for optimal order quantities in the newsvendor model under exponential demand
Three estimation policies for the optimal order quantity of the classical newsvendor model under exponential demand are evaluated in the current paper. According to the principle of the first estimation policy, the corresponding estimator is obtained replacing in the theoretical formula which gives the optimal order quantity the parameter of exponential distribution with its maximum likelihood estimator. The estimator of the second estimation policy is derived in such a way as to ensure that the requested critical fractile is attained. For the third estimation policy, the corresponding estimator is obtained maximizing the a-priori expected profit with respect to a constant which has been included into the form of the estimator. Three statistical measures have been chosen to perform the evaluation. The actual critical fractile attained by each estimator, the mean square error, and the range of deviation of estimates from the optimal order quantity, when the probability to take such a range is the same for the three estimation policies. The behavior of the three statistical measures is explored under different combinations of sample sizes and critical fractiles. With small sample sizes, no estimation policy predominates over the others. The estimator which attains the closest actual critical fractile to the requested one, this estimator has the largest mean square and the largest range of deviation of estimates from the optimal order quantity. On the contrary, with samples over 40 observations, the choice is restricted among the estimators of the first and third estimation policy. To facilitate this choice, at different sample sizes, we offer the required values of the critical fractile which determine which estimation policy eventually should be applied.
|Date of creation:||25 Jun 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Halkos, George & Kevork, Ilias, 2011. "Non-negative demand in newsvendor models:The case of singly truncated normal samples," MPRA Paper 31842, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Janssen, Elleke & Strijbosch, Leo & Brekelmans, Ruud, 2009. "Assessing the effects of using demand parameters estimates in inventory control and improving the performance using a correction function," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 118(1), pages 34-42, March.
- Hill, Roger M., 1997. "Applying Bayesian methodology with a uniform prior to the single period inventory model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(3), pages 555-562, May.
- Donald L. Iglehart, 1964. "The Dynamic Inventory Problem with Unknown Demand Distribution," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 10(3), pages 429-440, April.
- Ernst, Ricardo & Kamrad, Bardia, 2006. "Estimating demand by using sales information: inaccuracies encountered," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 174(2), pages 675-688, October.
- Hon-Shiang Lau, 1997. "Simple formulas for the expected costs in the newsboy problem: An educational note," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 100(3), pages 557-561, August.
- Kevork, Ilias S., 2010. "Estimating the optimal order quantity and the maximum expected profit for single-period inventory decisions," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 218-227, June.
- Maurice E. Schweitzer & Gérard P. Cachon, 2000. "Decision Bias in the Newsvendor Problem with a Known Demand Distribution: Experimental Evidence," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(3), pages 404-420, March.
- Khouja, Moutaz, 1999. "The single-period (news-vendor) problem: literature review and suggestions for future research," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 537-553, October.
- R. H. Hayes, 1969. "Statistical Estimation Problems in Inventory Control," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 15(11), pages 686-701, July.
- Katy S. Azoury, 1985. "Bayes Solution to Dynamic Inventory Models Under Unknown Demand Distribution," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 31(9), pages 1150-1160, September.
- Halkos, George & Kevork, Ilias, 2012. "Validity and precision of estimates in the classical newsvendor model with exponential and rayleigh demand," MPRA Paper 36460, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:39650. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.