Product selection for newsboy-type products with normal demands and unequal costs
In this paper, we consider two newsboy-type products with unequal prices and costs. Both demands are independent and follow normal distributions with unknown parameters [mu] and [sigma]. We study the product selection problem which deals with comparing two products and selecting the one that has a significantly higher profitability, in which the profitability is defined to the probability of achieving a target profit under the optimal ordering policy. The statistical hypothesis testing methodology is performed to tackle this selection problem. Critical value of the test is calculated to determine the selection decision. Sample size required for a designated power and confidence level is also investigated. An application example on comparing English-teaching magazines is presented to illustrate the practicality of our approach.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Khouja, Moutaz, 1995. "The newsboy problem under progressive multiple discounts," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 458-466, July.
- Ouyang, Liang-Yuh & Chang, Hung-Chi, 2002. "A minimax distribution free procedure for mixed inventory models involving variable lead time with fuzzy lost sales," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 1-12, March.
- Lee, Chih-Ming & Hsu, Shu-Lu, 2011. "The effect of advertising on the distribution-free newsboy problem," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 129(1), pages 217-224, January.
- Hon-Shiang Lau, 1997. "Simple formulas for the expected costs in the newsboy problem: An educational note," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 100(3), pages 557-561, August.
- Chen, Shih-Pin & Ho, Yann-Horng, 2011. "Analysis of the newsboy problem with fuzzy demands and incremental discounts," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 129(1), pages 169-177, January.
- Kevork, Ilias S., 2010. "Estimating the optimal order quantity and the maximum expected profit for single-period inventory decisions," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 218-227, June.
- Mostard, Julien & de Koster, Rene & Teunter, Ruud, 2005. "The distribution-free newsboy problem with resalable returns," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(3), pages 329-342, September.
- Ouyang, Liang-Yuh & Wu, Kun-Shan, 1998. "A minimax distribution free procedure for mixed inventory model with variable lead time," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 511-516, September.
- Alfares, Hesham K. & Elmorra, Hassan H., 2005. "The distribution-free newsboy problem: Extensions to the shortage penalty case," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 465-477, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:132:y:2011:i:2:p:214-222. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.