A competitive multiple-product newsboy problem with partial product substitution
This paper studies a multi-product competitive newsboy problem with shortage penalty cost and partial product substitution. We characterize the unique Nash equilibrium of the competitive model and analyze some properties of the equilibrium. An iterative algorithm is developed on the basis of approximating the effective demand as well as the expected profit function for each product. Numerical experiments are conducted to illustrate the impacts of product substitution, demand correlation and demand variation on the optimal order quantities and the corresponding expected profits, and to compare the total optimal inventory level of the competitive case with that of the centralized case. The conclusion that competition always results in a higher total inventory level, even under the effect of product substitution is drawn in the symmetric case.
Volume (Year): 39 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Keren, Baruch, 2009. "The single-period inventory problem: Extension to random yield from the perspective of the supply chain," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 801-810, August.
- Maurice E. Schweitzer & Gérard P. Cachon, 2000. "Decision Bias in the Newsvendor Problem with a Known Demand Distribution: Experimental Evidence," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(3), pages 404-420, March.
- Chen, Liang-Hsuan & Chen, Ying-Che, 2010. "A multiple-item budget-constraint newsboy problem with a reservation policy," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 431-439, December.
- Khouja, Moutaz, 1999. "The single-period (news-vendor) problem: literature review and suggestions for future research," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 537-553, October.
- Wang, Charles X. & Webster, Scott, 2009. "The loss-averse newsvendor problem," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 93-105, February.
- Casimir, Rommert J., 2002. "The value of information in the multi-item newsboy problem," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 45-50, February.
- Marco Scarsini & Alfred Muller, 2000.
"Some remarks on the supermodular order,"
- Mahesh Nagarajan & S. Rajagopalan, 2008. "Inventory Models for Substitutable Products: Optimal Policies and Heuristics," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 54(8), pages 1453-1466, August.
- Yang, Hongsuk & Schrage, Linus, 2009. "Conditions that cause risk pooling to increase inventory," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 192(3), pages 837-851, February.
- Choi, Tsan-Ming & Li, Duan & Yan, Houmin & Chiu, Chun-Hung, 2008. "Channel coordination in supply chains with agents having mean-variance objectives," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 565-576, August.
- Feng, Tianjun & Keller, L. Robin & Zheng, Xiaona, 2011. "Decision making in the newsvendor problem: A cross-national laboratory study," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 41-50, January.
- Khouja, Moutaz & Mehrez, Abraham & Rabinowitz, Gad, 1996. "A two-item newsboy problem with substitutability," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 267-275, July.
- Xuan Zhao & Derek R. Atkins, 2008. "Newsvendors Under Simultaneous Price and Inventory Competition," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 10(3), pages 539-546, September.
- Wu, Jun & Li, Jian & Wang, Shouyang & Cheng, T.C.E., 2009. "Mean-variance analysis of the newsvendor model with stockout cost," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 724-730, June.
- Kevork, Ilias S., 2010. "Estimating the optimal order quantity and the maximum expected profit for single-period inventory decisions," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 218-227, June.
- Ding, Ding & Chen, Jian, 2008. "Coordinating a three level supply chain with flexible return policies," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 865-876, October.
- Rajaram, Kumar & Tang, Christopher S., 2001. "The impact of product substitution on retail merchandising," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 135(3), pages 582-601, December.
- Yang, Shilei & Shi, Chunming Victor & Zhao, Xuan, 2011. "Optimal ordering and pricing decisions for a target oriented newsvendor," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 110-115, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:39:y:2011:i:3:p:302-312. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.