A competitive multiple-product newsboy problem with partial product substitution
This paper studies a multi-product competitive newsboy problem with shortage penalty cost and partial product substitution. We characterize the unique Nash equilibrium of the competitive model and analyze some properties of the equilibrium. An iterative algorithm is developed on the basis of approximating the effective demand as well as the expected profit function for each product. Numerical experiments are conducted to illustrate the impacts of product substitution, demand correlation and demand variation on the optimal order quantities and the corresponding expected profits, and to compare the total optimal inventory level of the competitive case with that of the centralized case. The conclusion that competition always results in a higher total inventory level, even under the effect of product substitution is drawn in the symmetric case.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 39 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wu, Jun & Li, Jian & Wang, Shouyang & Cheng, T.C.E., 2009. "Mean-variance analysis of the newsvendor model with stockout cost," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 724-730, June.
- Kevork, Ilias S., 2010. "Estimating the optimal order quantity and the maximum expected profit for single-period inventory decisions," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 218-227, June.
- Müller, Alfred & Scarsini, Marco, 2000. "Some Remarks on the Supermodular Order," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 107-119, April.
- Xuan Zhao & Derek R. Atkins, 2008. "Newsvendors Under Simultaneous Price and Inventory Competition," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 10(3), pages 539-546, September.
- Chen, Liang-Hsuan & Chen, Ying-Che, 2010. "A multiple-item budget-constraint newsboy problem with a reservation policy," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 431-439, December.
- Wang, Charles X. & Webster, Scott, 2009. "The loss-averse newsvendor problem," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 93-105, February.
- Yang, Hongsuk & Schrage, Linus, 2009. "Conditions that cause risk pooling to increase inventory," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 192(3), pages 837-851, February.
- Casimir, Rommert J., 2002. "The value of information in the multi-item newsboy problem," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 45-50, February.
- Feng, Tianjun & Keller, L. Robin & Zheng, Xiaona, 2011. "Decision making in the newsvendor problem: A cross-national laboratory study," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 41-50, January.
- Keren, Baruch, 2009. "The single-period inventory problem: Extension to random yield from the perspective of the supply chain," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 801-810, August.
- Khouja, Moutaz & Mehrez, Abraham & Rabinowitz, Gad, 1996. "A two-item newsboy problem with substitutability," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 267-275, July.
- Maurice E. Schweitzer & Gérard P. Cachon, 2000. "Decision Bias in the Newsvendor Problem with a Known Demand Distribution: Experimental Evidence," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(3), pages 404-420, March.
- Yang, Shilei & Shi, Chunming Victor & Zhao, Xuan, 2011. "Optimal ordering and pricing decisions for a target oriented newsvendor," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 110-115, January.
- Rajaram, Kumar & Tang, Christopher S., 2001. "The impact of product substitution on retail merchandising," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 135(3), pages 582-601, December.
- Khouja, Moutaz, 1999. "The single-period (news-vendor) problem: literature review and suggestions for future research," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 537-553, October.
- Ding, Ding & Chen, Jian, 2008. "Coordinating a three level supply chain with flexible return policies," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 865-876, October.
- Mahesh Nagarajan & S. Rajagopalan, 2008. "Inventory Models for Substitutable Products: Optimal Policies and Heuristics," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 54(8), pages 1453-1466, August.
- Choi, Tsan-Ming & Li, Duan & Yan, Houmin & Chiu, Chun-Hung, 2008. "Channel coordination in supply chains with agents having mean-variance objectives," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 565-576, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:39:y:2011:i:3:p:302-312. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.