Inventory competition for newsvendors under the objective of profit satisficing
Inventory competition for newsvendors (NVs) has been studied extensively under the objective of expected profit maximization which is based on risk neutrality. In this paper, we study this classic problem under the objective of profit satisficing which is based on downside-risk aversion. Consistent with prior literature, we consider two possible scenarios. In the first scenario, each NV's demand depends on the stocking levels of all NVs other than herself. In this scenario, we show that there is a unique Nash equilibrium where all NVs optimally order as if they were independent. In the second scenario, each NV's demand depends on the stocking levels of all NVs including herself. We prove the existence of Nash equilibrium for both additive and multiplicative forms of demands. As a special case, we also study symmetrical NVs under the proportional allocation model. We show that at equilibrium, if the number of NVs exceeds a threshold, the market becomes highly competitive.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yunzeng Wang & Yigal Gerchak, 2001. "Supply Chain Coordination when Demand Is Shelf-Space Dependent," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 3(1), pages 82-87, August.
- Geng, Qin & Mallik, Suman, 2007. "Inventory competition and allocation in a multi-channel distribution system," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 182(2), pages 704-729, October.
- Serguei Netessine & Fuqiang Zhang, 2005. "Positive vs. Negative Externalities in Inventory Management: Implications for Supply Chain Design," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 7(1), pages 58-73, January.
- Shipley, David D, 1981. "Pricing Objectives in British Manufacturing Industry," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(4), pages 429-443, June.
- Shi, Chunming Victor & Zhao, Xuan & Xia, Yu, 2010. "The setting of profit targets for target oriented divisions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 206(1), pages 86-92, October.
- Xuan Zhao & Derek R. Atkins, 2008. "Newsvendors Under Simultaneous Price and Inventory Competition," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 10(3), pages 539-546, September.
- Wang, Qinan & Parlar, Mahmut, 1994. "A three-person game theory model arising in stochastic inventory control theory," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 83-97, July.
- He, Xiuli & Khouja, Moutaz, 2011. "Pareto analysis of supply chain contracts under satisficing objectives," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 214(1), pages 53-66, October.
- Wang, Charles X. & Webster, Scott, 2009. "The loss-averse newsvendor problem," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 93-105, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:215:y:2011:i:2:p:367-373. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.