State owned enterprises, privatization and the public interest: evidence of S.O.E. performance in the Greek manufacturing
In this study a brief description of the policy options for the control of public enterprise under different market structures is presented. A critical examination of the drawbacks of some similar studies in the international literature is also endeavored. Moreover, using a number of suggested financial efficiency ratios a measurement of the efficiency of the state controlled enterprises for the time period 1978-1991 is attempted. The main conclusions drawn from this study are, that public owned enterprises exhibit continuously lower efficiency on average compared to the average efficiency of the industry sectors in which they belong for all the period of the study, competition contributes positively in increasing efficiency, but it is rather considered as a necessary condition than a sufficient condition for the attainment of the overall economic efficiency. Conversely, the ownership form appears to be of critical importance.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Archieves of Economic History 1.XV(2003): pp. 97-110|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Newbery, David M & Pollitt, Michael G, 1997. "The Restructuring and Privatization of Britain's CEGB--Was It Worth It?," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(3), pages 269-303, September.
- Keith Hartley & David Parker & Stephen Martin, 1991. "Organisational Status, Ownership and Productivity," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 12(2), pages 46-60, May.
- John Vickers & George Yarrow, 1988. "Privatization: An Economic Analysis," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262720116, March.
- Kotsogiannis, Christos & Makris, Miltiadis, 2002. "On production efficiency in federal systems," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 281-287, July.
- Forsyth, P J & Hocking, R D, 1980. "Property Rights and Efficiency in a Regulated Environment: The Case of Australian Airlines," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 56(153), pages 182-85, June.
- Domberger, Simon & Piggott, John, 1986. "Privatization Policies and Public Enterprise: A Survey," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 62(177), pages 145-62, June.
- Caves, Richard E., 1990. "Lessons from privatization in Britain : State enterprise behavior, public choice, and corporate governance," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 145-169, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:39604. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.