Internationalisation of ICT R&D in Asia vis a vis the world regions
We analyse the internationalisation of ICT R&D in Asia and compare it with the other world regions. Despite the strong linkages between Japan, the US and the EU, Asia seems to be very attractive as a location for R&D activities. It is also striking how the role of Japan as a partner of other Asian countries decreased mainly in favour of the US. At the aggregate level, there are strong differences in R&D internationalisation across regions. This might indicate that each region follows a different R&D internationalisation path. Alternatively, it might also be a sign of unequal capabilities of "going global". In this respect, the US offers an interesting example of a region which benefit from the process of internationalisation of inventive activity not only through building research collaborations with foreign inventors, but also through successfully capturing innovations developed by foreign researchers.
|Date of creation:||31 Nov 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Helmut Gassler & Brigitte Nones, 2008. "Internationalisation of R&D and embeddedness: the case of Austria," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 33(4), pages 407-421, August.
- Pari Patel & Keith Pavitt, 1991. "Large Firms in the Production of the World’s Technology: An Important Case of “Non-Globalisation”," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 22(1), pages 1-21, March.
- Magnus Gulbrandsen & Helge Godoe, 2008. "“We really don’t want to move, but...”: identity and strategy in the internationalisation of industrial R&D," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 33(4), pages 379-392, August.
- Rene Belderbos & Kyoji Fukao & Tomoko Iwasa, 2009.
"Foreign and domestic R&D investment,"
Economics of Innovation and New Technology,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(4), pages 369-380.
- Patel, Pari & Vega, Modesto, 1999. "Patterns of internationalisation of corporate technology: location vs. home country advantages1," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(2-3), pages 145-155, March.
- Picci, Lucio, 2009.
"The Internationalization of Inventive Activity: A Gravity Model Using Patent Data,"
18467, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Picci, Lucio, 2010. "The internationalization of inventive activity: A gravity model using patent data," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(8), pages 1070-1081, October.
- Picci, Lucio, 2008. "The Internationalization of Inventive Activity: A Gravity Model Using Patent Data," MPRA Paper 12700, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nagesh Kumar, 2008.
"Internationalization of Indian Enterprises : Patterns, Strategies, Ownership Advantages and Implications,"
Microeconomics Working Papers
22113, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Nagesh KUMAR, 2008. "Internationalization of Indian Enterprises: Patterns, Strategies, Ownership Advantages, and Implications," Asian Economic Policy Review, Japan Center for Economic Research, vol. 3(2), pages 242-261.
- Dunning, John H., 1994. "Multinational enterprises and the globalization of innovatory capacity," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 67-88, January.
- Walter Kuemmerle, 1999. "The Drivers of Foreign Direct Investment into Research and Development: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 30(1), pages 1-24, March.
- Susan Bartholomew, 1997. "National Systems of Biotechnology Innovation: Complex Interdependence in the Global System," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 28(2), pages 241-266, June.
- Carlsson, Bo, 2006. "Internationalization of innovation systems: A survey of the literature," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 56-67, February.
- Bernhard Dachs & Andreas Pyka, 2010. "What drives the internationalisation of innovation? Evidence from European patent data," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(1), pages 71-86.
- Kazuyuki Motohashi, 2008. "Growing R&D Collaboration of Japanese Firms and Policy Implications for Reforming the National Innovation System1," Asia Pacific Business Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(3), pages 339-361, July.
- Rosanna Pittiglio & Edgardo Sica & Stefania Villa, 2009. "Innovation and internationalization: the case of Italy," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 34(6), pages 588-602, December.
- Geomina Turlea & Daniel Nepelski & Giuditta De Prato & Jean-Paul Simon & Anna Sabadash & Juraj Stancik & Wojciech Szewczyk & Paul Desruelle & Marc Bogdanowicz, 2011. "The 2011 Report on R&D in ICT in the European Union," JRC Working Papers JRC65175, Joint Research Centre (Seville site).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:39281. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.