The transformative impact of business models
The macroeconomic impact of advances in information and communications technologies is significant but problematic to assess. Research on these developments has been isolated to specific disciplines, easily outpaced by new innovations and few studies describe the multiple changes and their macroeconomic consequences in a holistic way. The increasing ability to organize, price and transmit information to the market is ushering in an era where economic actors are highly responsive to the market. Technological advance alone does not capture the benefits of these developments. It is the innovative business model that lies at the heart of this revolution in responsiveness. We outline four major economic shifts in this study by reference to some paradigmatic business models. These shifts include pricing strategy innovations and their effect on the creation and expansion of market spaces, structural shifts in electronic markets and the effects on transaction costs, the deeper interaction between firms and consumers and the effects on more efficient matching of supply and demand, and finally the economic impact of elasticity and infinite scalability in computing resources when delivered as a utility by cloud computing providers. These advances do not only increase the commercial possibilities, they actively alter the competitive landscape and the role of the firm and consumer. This paper establishes some key areas where the increased responsiveness of economic actors is increasingly stimulating innovation, efficiency and productivity.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Indjikian, Rouben & Siegel, Donald S., 2005.
"The Impact of Investment in IT on Economic Performance: Implications for Developing Countries,"
Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 681-700, May.
- Rouben Indjikain & Donald S. Siegel, 2004. "The Impact of Investment in IT on Economic Performance: Implications for Developing Countries," Rensselaer Working Papers in Economics 0414, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Department of Economics.
- Michael A. Arnold & Thierry Pénard, 2007.
"Bargaining and Fixed Price Offers: How Online Intermediaries are Changing New Car Transactions,"
07-03, University of Delaware, Department of Economics.
- Arnold Michael A. & Pénard Thierry, 2007. "Bargaining and Fixed Price Offers: How Online Intermediaries are Changing New Car Transactions," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 6(2), pages 1-27, June.
- Thierry Pénard & Michael Arnold, 2007. "Bargaining and fixed price offers : how online intermediaries are changing new car transactions," Post-Print halshs-00169306, HAL.
- Thierry Pénard & Eric Brousseau, 2007.
"The economics of digital business models : a framework for analyzing the economics of platforms,"
- Brousseau Eric & Penard Thierry, 2007. "The Economics of Digital Business Models: A Framework for Analyzing the Economics of Platforms," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 6(2), pages 1-34, June.
- Yannis Bakos, 2001. "The Emerging Landscape for Retail E-Commerce," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(1), pages 69-80, Winter.
- Baye, Michael R. & Morgan, John, 2002. "Information gatekeepers and price discrimination on the internet," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 47-51, June.
- Teece, David J., 1993.
"Profiting from technological innovation: Implications for integration, collaboration, licensing and public policy,"
Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 112-113, April.
- Teece, David J., 1986. "Profiting from technological innovation: Implications for integration, collaboration, licensing and public policy," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 285-305, December.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti, 2002.
"The New Economy and the Challenges for Macroeconomic Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
8935, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti, 2006. "The New Economy and the Challenges for Macroeconomic Policy," Chapters, in: The New Economy and Beyond, chapter 4 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Alexander Osterwalder & Yves Pigneur, 2002. "An e-Business Model Ontology for Modeling e-Business," Industrial Organization 0202004, EconWPA.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/7127 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ghafele, Roya & Gibert, Benjamin, 2011. "Crowdsourcing patent application review: leveraging new opportunities to capitalize on innovation?," MPRA Paper 38092, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mazzoleni, Roberto & Nelson, Richard R., 1998. "The benefits and costs of strong patent protection: a contribution to the current debate," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 273-284, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:38346. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.