Food security in South Asia: strategies and programmes for regional collaboration
The study examines movements over time in key factors influencing food security in South Asia. Country level and regional level food security indices (FSI) were constructed to track progress in achieving food security keeping in view its availability, stability, access, and nutritional status dimensions. The results show that despite an overall increase in food production in SAARC countries, there has been no significant improvement in food security in the region. The lack of progress in improving food security and reducing hunger and malnutrition in some countries shows that their economic structure in terms of asset and income distribution; low investment in health, education, and agricultural R&D; and slow progress in HDI and gender disparities may be key factors. The study stresses upon the need for regional collaboration for ensuring food security and early solutions of issues that hurdle the initiation or limit the benefits of collaborated programmes.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Theresa Chaudhry & Azam Chaudhry, 2008. "The Effects of Rising Food and Fuel Costs on Poverty in Pakistan," Lahore Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, The Lahore School of Economics, vol. 13(Special E), pages 117-138, September.
- Dantwala, M.L., 1967. "Incentives and Disincentives in Indian Agriculture," Indian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Indian Society of Agricultural Economics, vol. 22(2).
- World Bank, 2009. "World Development Indicators 2009," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 4367, May.
- Ahmed, Sadiq, 2009. "Accelerating Growth and Job Creation in South Asia," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198060048 edited by Ghani, Ejaz.
- World Bank, 2010. "World Development Indicators 2010," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 4373, May.
- Wodon, Quentin & Zaman, Hassan, 2008. "Rising food prices in Sub-Saharan Africa : poverty impact and policy responses," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4738, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:38077. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.