Test of Higher Moment Capital Asset Pricing Model in Case of Pakistani Equity Market
In this study we test the mean-variance capital asset pricing model (CAPM) developed by Sharpe (1965) Lintner (1966) on individual stocks traded at Karachi Stock Exchange (KSE), the main equity market in Pakistan for the period 1993-2004 using daily and monthly data. The empirical findings do not support standard CAPM as a model to explain assets pricing in Pakistani equity market. In response to this finding first, we have extended the model to mean-variance-skewness and mean-variance-skewness-kurtosis model following Kraus and Litzenberger (1976). In the second step we allow the covariance, coskewness and cokurtosis to vary over time in autoregressive context leading to conditional three-moment CAPM and conditional four-moment CAPM. The results of unconditional and conditional higher-moments CAPM reveal that three-moment CAPM performed relatively well in explaining risk-return relationship in Pakistan during the sample period However, the results of higher-moment model indicate that systematic covariance and systematic cokurtosis have marginal role in explaining the asset price behavior in Pakistan.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kane, Alex, 1982. "Skewness Preference and Portfolio Choice," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(01), pages 15-25, March.
- Jansen, Dennis W & de Vries, Casper G, 1991.
"On the Frequency of Large Stock Returns: Putting Booms and Busts into Perspective,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 73(1), pages 18-24, February.
- Dennis Jansen & Casper de Vries, 1988. "On the frequency of large stock returns: putting booms and busts into perspective," Working Papers 1989-006, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Gabriel Hawawini, .
"Market Efficiency and Equity Pricing: International Evidence and Implications for Global Investing,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
08-88, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Gabriel Hawawini, . "Market Efficiency and Equity Pricing: International Evidence and Implications for Global Investing," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 8-88, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Iqbal, Javed & Brooks, Robert & Galagedera, Don U.A., 2010.
"Testing conditional asset pricing models: An emerging market perspective,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 897-918, September.
- Javed Iqbal & Robert Brooks & Don U.A. Galagedera, 2008. "Testing Conditional Asset Pricing Models: An Emerging Market Perspective," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 3/08, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Green, Christopher J, 1990. "Asset Demands and Asset Prices in the U.K.: Is There a Risk Premium," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 58(3), pages 211-28, September.
- Robert F. Dittmar, 2002. "Nonlinear Pricing Kernels, Kurtosis Preference, and Evidence from the Cross Section of Equity Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(1), pages 369-403, 02.
- Post, Thierry & van Vliet, Pim & Levy, Haim, 2008. "Risk aversion and skewness preference," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 1178-1187, July.
- Andrew Ang & Joseph Chen & Yuhang Xing, 2005.
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Ang, Andrew & Chen, Joseph, 2002. "Asymmetric correlations of equity portfolios," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(3), pages 443-494, March.
- Smith, Daniel R., 2007. "Conditional coskewness and asset pricing," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 91-119, January.
- Hawawini, Gabriel A., 1980. "An Analytical Examination of the Intervaling Effect on Skewness and Other Moments," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(05), pages 1121-1127, December.
- Lee, Cheng F., 1977. "Functional Form, Skewness Effect, and the Risk-Return Relationship," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(01), pages 55-72, March.
- Cook, Thomas J. & Rozeff, Michael S., 1984. "Size and Earnings/Price Ratio Anomalies: One Effect or Two?," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(04), pages 449-466, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:38059. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.