Exports of Services: Indian Experience in Perspective
We survey India’s experience with exporting services. We show that the country’s experience is unique in that modern tradable services are a significantly larger share of GDP than in other countries at comparable levels of economic development. This has not always been the case, however; India’s out-performance is limited to recent years. Policy initiatives, from trade reform to liberalization of domestic industrial and service sectors, were important for jump-starting the process. Panel and country-specific regressions for a cross section of countries point to the importance of a range of additional factors: overall economic development, communications infrastructure, access to foreign technology, and spillovers between the merchandise and service exports. Importantly, however, these factors, jointly or individually, do not wipe out the significance of a dummy variable for India. India, evidently, is a significant outlier as an exporter of services, and even more so as the period proceeds.
|Date of creation:||13 Mar 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arjan Lejour & Jan-Willem de Paiva Verheijden, 2007. "The Tradability of Services within Canada and the European Union," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(4), pages 389-409, June.
- Barry Eichengreen & Poonam Gupta, 2013.
"The two waves of service-sector growth,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 65(1), pages 96-123, January.
- Barry Eichengreen & Poonam Gupta, 2009. "The Two Waves of Service Sector Growth," NBER Working Papers 14968, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barry Eichengreen & Poonam Gupta, 2009. "The Two Waves of Service-Sector Growth," Development Economics Working Papers 22914, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Barry Eichengreen & Poonam Gupta, 2009. "The Two Waves of Service-Sector Growth," Working Papers id:1934, eSocialSciences.
- Head, Keith & Mayer, Thierry & Ries, John, 2009.
"How remote is the offshoring threat?,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 53(4), pages 429-444, May.
- Keith Head & Thierry Mayer & John Ries, 2007. "How Remote is the Offshoring Threat?," Working Papers 2007-18, CEPII research center.
- Keith Head & Thierry Mayer & John Ries, 2008. "How Remote is the Offshoring Threat ?," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/10143, Sciences Po.
- Head, Keith & Mayer, Thierry & Ries, John, 2007. "How Remote is the Offshoring Threat?," CEPR Discussion Papers 6542, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Keith Head & Thierry Mayer & John Ries, 2009. "How remote is the offshoring threat?," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00639596, HAL.
- Keith Head & Thierry Mayer & John Ries, 2008. "How Remote is the Offshoring Threat ?," Working Papers hal-01066173, HAL.
- P. K. M. Tharakan & Ilke Van Beveren & Tom Van Ourti, 2005. "Determinants of India's Software Exports and Goods Exports," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 87(4), pages 776-780, November.
- Henk Kox & Arjan Lejour, 2005. "Regulatory heterogeneity as obstacle for international services trade," CPB Discussion Paper 49, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Jens Matthias Arnold & Beata Javorcik & Molly Lipscomb & Aaditya Mattoo, 2016.
"Services Reform and Manufacturing Performance: Evidence from India,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 126(590), pages 1-39, February.
- Arnold, Jens & Javorcik, Beata & Lipscomb, Molly & Mattoo, Aaditya, 2010. "Services Reform and Manufacturing Performance: Evidence from India," CEPR Discussion Papers 8011, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Arnold, Jens Matthias & Javorcik, Beata & Lipscomb, Molly & Mattoo, Aaditya, 2012. "Services reform and manufacturing performance : evidence from India," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5948, The World Bank.
- Carolina Lennon, 2008.
"Trade in services and trade in goods: differences and complementarities,"
PSE Working Papers
- Carolina Lennon, 2009. "Trade in Services and Trade in Goods: Differences and Complementarities," wiiw Working Papers 53, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- James Harrigan, 2001.
"Specialization and the volume of trade: do the data obey the laws?,"
140, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- James Harrigan, 2001. "Specialization and the Volume of Trade: Do the Data Obey the Laws?," NBER Working Papers 8675, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Keith Walsh, 2006. "Trade in Services: Does Gravity Hold? A Gravity Model Approach to Estimating Barriers to Services Trade," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp183, IIIS.
- Fukunari Kimura & Hyun-Hoon Lee, 2006. "The Gravity Equation in International Trade in Services," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 142(1), pages 92-121, April.
- Barry Eichengreen & Poonam Gupta, 2011.
"The Service Sector as India’s Road to Economic Growth?,"
India Policy Forum,
National Council of Applied Economic Research, vol. 7(1), pages 1-42.
- Barry Eichengreen & Poonam Gupta, 2011. "The Service Sector as India's Road to Economic Growth," NBER Working Papers 16757, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Poonam Gupta & Kalpana Kochhar & Sanjaya Panth, 2015. "Bank ownership and the effects of financial liberalization: evidence from India," Indian Growth and Development Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 8(1), pages 109-138, April.
- Poonam Gupta & Kalpana Kochhar & Sanjaya P Panth, 2011. "Bank Ownership and the Effects of Financial Liberalization; Evidence from India," IMF Working Papers 11/50, International Monetary Fund.
- Caroline Freund & Diana Weinhold, 2002. "The Internet and International Trade in Services," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(2), pages 236-240, May.
- Abdul Abiad & Enrica Detragiache & Thierry Tressel, 2010. "A New Database of Financial Reforms," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 57(2), pages 281-302, June.Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:37409. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.