Exports of Services: Indian Experience in Perspective
We survey India’s experience with exporting services. We show that the country’s experience is unique in that modern tradable services are a significantly larger share of GDP than in other countries at comparable levels of economic development. This has not always been the case, however; India’s out-performance is limited to recent years. Policy initiatives, from trade reform to liberalization of domestic industrial and service sectors, were important for jump-starting the process. Panel and country-specific regressions for a cross section of countries point to the importance of a range of additional factors: overall economic development, communications infrastructure, access to foreign technology, and spillovers between the merchandise and service exports. Importantly, however, these factors, jointly or individually, do not wipe out the significance of a dummy variable for India. India, evidently, is a significant outlier as an exporter of services, and even more so as the period proceeds.
|Date of creation:||13 Mar 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Caroline Freund & Diana Weinhold, 2002. "The Internet and International Trade in Services," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(2), pages 236-240, May.
- James Harrigan, 2001.
"Specialization and the volume of trade: do the data obey the laws?,"
140, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- James Harrigan, 2001. "Specialization and the Volume of Trade: Do the Data Obey the Laws?," NBER Working Papers 8675, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barry Eichengreen & Poonam Gupta, 2013.
"The two waves of service-sector growth,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 65(1), pages 96-123, January.
- Barry Eichengreen & Poonam Gupta, 2009. "The Two Waves of Service-Sector Growth," Working Papers id:1934, eSocialSciences.
- Barry Eichengreen & Poonam Gupta, 2009. "The Two Waves of Service-Sector Growth," Development Economics Working Papers 22914, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Barry Eichengreen & Poonam Gupta, 2009. "The Two Waves of Service Sector Growth," NBER Working Papers 14968, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fukunari Kimura & Hyun-Hoon Lee, 2006. "The Gravity Equation in International Trade in Services," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 142(1), pages 92-121, April.
- Enrica Detragiache & Abdul Abiad & Thierry Tressel, 2008.
"A New Database of Financial Reforms,"
IMF Working Papers
08/266, International Monetary Fund.
- Carolina Lennon, 2009. "Trade in Services and Trade in Goods: Differences and Complementarities," wiiw Working Papers 53, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Arnold, Jens Matthias & Javorcik, Beata & Lipscomb, Molly & Mattoo, Aaditya, 2012.
"Services reform and manufacturing performance : evidence from India,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5948, The World Bank.
- Arnold, Jens & Javorcik, Beata & Lipscomb, Molly & Mattoo, Aaditya, 2010. "Services Reform and Manufacturing Performance: Evidence from India," CEPR Discussion Papers 8011, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Keith Head & Thierry Mayer & John Ries, 2008.
"How Remote is the Offshoring Threat ?,"
Sciences Po publications
info:hdl:2441/10143, Sciences Po.
- Henk Kox & Arjan Lejour, 2005. "Regulatory heterogeneity as obstacle for international services trade," CPB Discussion Paper 49, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Barry Eichengreen & Poonam Gupta, 2011. "The Service Sector as India's Road to Economic Growth," NBER Working Papers 16757, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Poonam Gupta & Kalpana Kochhar & Sanjaya Panth, 2011. "Bank Ownership and the Effects of Financial Liberalization; Evidence From India," IMF Working Papers 11/50, International Monetary Fund.
- Arjan Lejour & Jan-Willem de Paiva Verheijden, 2007. "The Tradability of Services within Canada and the European Union," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(4), pages 389-409, June.
- Keith Walsh, 2006. "Trade in Services: Does Gravity Hold? A Gravity Model Approach to Estimating Barriers to Services Trade," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp183, IIIS.
- P. K. M. Tharakan & Ilke Van Beveren & Tom Van Ourti, 2005. "Determinants of India's Software Exports and Goods Exports," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 87(4), pages 776-780, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:37409. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.