The Service Sector as India's Road to Economic Growth?
Among fast growing developing countries, India is distinctive for the role of theservice sector. However, sceptics have raised doubts about both the quality andsustainability of the increase in service sector activity and its implications foreconomic development. Using National Accounts Statistics and cross-county data, weshow that the growth of services has been broad-based. We show that the growth ofservice sector employment is not simply disguised manufacturing activity. We alsofind that the skilled-unskilled mix of labour in the two sectors is becomingincreasingly similar. Hence, it is no longer obvious that manufacturing is the maindestination for the vast majority of Indian labour moving into the modern sector andthat modern services are only a viable destination for the highly skilled few. To theextent that the expansion of both modern manufacturing and modern services isconstrained by the availability of skilled labour, this just underscores the importancefor India of continuing to invest in labour skills. We conclude that sustainingeconomic growth and raising living standards will require shifting labour out ofagriculture into both manufacturing and services and not just into one or the other.
|Date of creation:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: India Habitat Centre, Core 6A, Lodhi Road, New Delhi 110 003|
Web page: http://www.icrier.res.in
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Panagariya, Arvind, 2008.
"India: The Emerging Giant,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780195315035.
- Arvind Subramanian & Raghuram Rajan & Ioannis Tokatlidis & Kalpana Kochhar & Utsav Kumar, 2006.
"India's Pattern of Development; What Happened, What Follows?,"
IMF Working Papers
06/22, International Monetary Fund.
- Kochhar, Kalpana & Kumar, Utsav & Rajan, Raghuram & Subramanian, Arvind & Tokatlidis, Ioannis, 2006. "India's pattern of development: What happened, what follows?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(5), pages 981-1019, July.
- Kalpana Kochhar & Utsav Kumar & Raghuram Rajan & Arvind Subramanian, 2006. "India's Patterns of Development: What Happened, What Follows," NBER Working Papers 12023, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- J. Bradford Jensen & Lori G. Kletzer, 2005. "Tradable Services: Understanding the Scope and Impact of Services Outsourcing," Working Paper Series WP05-9, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Rashmi Banga & B.N.Goldar, 2004. "Contribution of services to output growth and productivity in Indian manufacturing: Pre and post reforms," Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations, New Delhi Working Papers 139, Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations, New Delhi, India.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ind:icrier:249. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (G.K. Manjunath)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.