Reformas Estructurales y Productividad Total de Factores
[Structural Reforms and Total Factor Productivity]
This paper analyzes the impact of structural reforms in the total factor productivity using plantlevel data for the manufacturing industry in Chile during the period comprised between 1992 and 2005. This is done by exploiting measures of exposure to certain regulations for the various productive sectors, due to the uniformity of policies in Chile through them. It realizes an analysis of the decomposition of growth in the period of study and in the subperiods before the Asian crisis and beyond it, finding heterogeneity across sectors. Also, it finds as a relevant effect the entry and exit of plants (net effect of entry) to explain the low growth rate of TPF. Of this analysis it highlights the possibility of raising productivity through the reallocation of factors and market shares, which may be impossible due to the degree of rigidity imposed by the existing regulation. The results of the work suggest a positive relation between trade liberalization, intern financial liberalization and efficiency. It also finds evidence of a negative relation between liberalization of capital flows and efficiency, leaving the result of this impact as a question. It does not find a statistically significant relationship between labor and efficiency, although it is not possible to say that it does not exist. It requires improving the measurement of such legislation considering other aspects that our index does not evaluate in order to get a better evaluation.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eduardo Lora, 2001.
"Structural Reforms in Latin America: What Has Been Reformed and How to Measure It,"
Research Department Publications
4293, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Eduardo Lora, 2001. "Structural reforms in Latin America: What has been reformed and how to measure it?," Research Department Publications 4287, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Eduardo Lora, 2001. "Structural Reforms in Latin America: What Has Been Reformed and How to Measure It," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 39858, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Raimundo Soto & Raphael Bergoeing & Timothy Kehoe & Patrick Kehoe., 2002.
"Policy-driven productivity in Chile and Mexico in the 1980s and 1990s,"
Documentos de Trabajo
213, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
- Raphael Bergoeing & Patrick J. Kehoe & Timothy J. Kehoe & Raimundo Soto, 2002. "Policy-Driven Productivity in Chile and Mexico in the 1980's and 1990's," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(2), pages 16-21, May.
- Raphael Bergoeing & Patrick J. Kehoe & Timothy J. Kehoe & Raimundo Soto, 2002. "Policy-Driven Productivity in Chile and Mexico in the 1980s and 1990s," NBER Working Papers 8892, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Raphael Bergoeing & Patrick J. Kehoe & Timothy J. Kehoe & Raimundo Soto, 2002. "Policy-Driven Productivity in Chile and Mexico in the 1980s and 1990s," Documentos de Trabajo 125, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Escaith, Hubert & Paunovic, Igor, 2004. "Reformas estructurales en América Latina y el Caribe en el período 1970-2000," Documentos de Proyectos 10, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL).
- Carmen Pagés & Claudio E. Montenegro, 1999.
"Job Security and the Age-Composition of Employment: Evidence from Chile,"
IDB Publications (Working Papers)
4118, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Carmen Pagés & Claudio E. Montenegro, 2007. "Job security and the age-composition of employment: evidence from Chile," Estudios de Economia, University of Chile, Department of Economics, vol. 34(2 Year 20), pages 109-139, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:37362. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.