Italy, the fiscal dominance model, and the gold standard age
The paper links money supply to the state budget deficit in the Italian historical context. The process of monetization of government deficit is analysed and is related both to the fixity of the exchange rate and free capital mobility typical of the 1860-1913 period. The empirical evidence supporting the view of Italy “shadowing” gold is discussed and the effect of government financing on money supply is tested. The conlusion discusses the implications of the model and of the empirical evidence for the interpretation of the Gold Standard.
|Date of creation:||1997|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lucas, Robert Jr, 1976. "Econometric policy evaluation: A critique," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 19-46, January.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Giuseppe Tattara & or consequences), 2002.
"Paper Money but a Gold Debt. Italy in the Gold Standard,"
- Tattara, Giuseppe, 2003. "Paper money but a gold debt: Italy on the gold standard," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 122-142, April.
- Flandreau, Marc & Le Cacheux, Jacques & Zumer, Frédéric, 1998.
"Stability Without a Pact? Lessons from the European Gold Standard 1880-1914,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1872, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marc Flandreau & Jacques Le Cacheux & Frédéric Zumer, 1998. "Stability without a pact? Lessons from the European gold standard, 1880-1914," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 13(26), pages 115-162, 04.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Flandreau, Marc, 1994.
"The Geography of the Gold Standard,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1050, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Barry Eichengreen and Marc Flandreau., 1994. "The Geography of the Gold Standard," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C94-042, University of California at Berkeley.
- Fishlow, Albert, 1985. "Lessons from the past: capital markets during the 19th century and the interwar period," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 39(03), pages 383-439, June.
- Storaci, Marina & Tattara, Giuseppe, 1998. "The external financing of Italian electric companies in the interwar years," European Review of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(03), pages 345-375, December.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521443159 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:37155. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.