Was Italy ever on gold?
This article deals with the evolution of the Italian economy in the last part of the nineteenth century and the beginning of the twentieth century with particular emphasis on money and banking. It also deals with the problem of the huge Italian public debt. In this context it examines the exchange rate regime and presents a model of exchange rate determination for the years 1872-1913. An important element of Italian policy was the committment of limiting the fluctuations in the exchange rate while isolating the process of money creation from external shocks. This process was rather different from the classic adjustment process envisaged by the "Gold Standard Myth"
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fenoaltea, Stefano, 1988. "International resource flows and construction movements in the atlantic economy: the kuznets cycle in Italy, 1861–1913," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 48(03), pages 605-637, September.
- John F. O. Bilson & Richard C. Marston, 1984. "Exchange Rate Theory and Practice," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number bils84-1.
- Fishlow, Albert, 1985. "Lessons from the past: capital markets during the 19th century and the interwar period," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 39(03), pages 383-439, June.
- Giuseppe Tattara, 2003. "Lira stabilisation, construction boom and the level of economic activity: the Shift in Favour of Non-Traded Goods Prices and Urban Rents," Economie Internationale, CEPII research center, issue 96, pages 23-42.
- Tattara Giuseppe, 2002.
"Un margine di arbitraggio non sfruttato sulla Rendita Italiana a Parigi?,"
Rivista di storia economica,
Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 51-64.
- Tattara, Giuseppe, 2002.
"Un margine di arbitraggio non sfruttato sulla Rendita Italiana a Parigi ?
[An Unexploited Arbitrage Margin on the Italian Rendita in Paris?]," MPRA Paper 10778, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tattara, Giuseppe, 2002. "Un margine di arbitraggio non sfruttato sulla Rendita Italiana a Parigi ?
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:37160. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.