Productivité du travail, capital humain et écart technologique dans les industries manufacturières marocaines
[Labor productivity, human capital and technology gap in manufacturing Moroccan]
We estimated the interaction between economic openness, foreign presence and productivity of work in the case of Moroccan manufacturing industries. Econometric estimates in panel data show that skilled labor, export capacity and the foreign presence exert a positive and significant impact on the apparent labor productivity of Moroccan firms. However, the relationship between foreign presence and productivity depends on the absorptive capacity of Moroccan firms and the technology gap between foreign firms and Moroccan firms. Foreign presence does not automatically transfer and technology diffusion. A technology gap too large or too small between foreign firms and domestic firms may not facilitate this transfer.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2006|
|Publication status:||Published in in « Le Sud de la Méditerranée face aux défis du libre-échange », sous la dir. M. Catin et H. Reignaut, l'Harmattan, (2006): pp. 113-128|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1996.
"Multinational Corporations and Spillovers,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
99, Stockholm School of Economics.
- bouoiyour, jamal, 2003. "Trade and GDP Growth in Morocco: Short-run or Long-run Causality?," MPRA Paper 28859, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jamal bouoiyour & Al Akhawayn, 2005. "Labour Productivity, Technological Gap and Spillovers Evidence from Moroccan Manufacturing Industries," The African Finance Journal, Africagrowth Institute, vol. 7(2), pages 1-17.
- Steven Globerman, 1979. "Foreign Direct Investment and `Spillover' Efficiency Benefits in Canadian Manufacturing Industries," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 12(1), pages 42-56, February.
- Bouoiyour, Jamal, 2007. "The determining factors of foreign direct investment in Morocco," MPRA Paper 37326, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:pra:mprapa:37325 is not listed on IDEAS
- Caves, Richard E, 1974. "Multinational Firms, Competition, and Productivity in Host-Country Markets," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 41(162), pages 176-93, May.
- Fredrik Sjoholm, 1999.
"Technology gap, competition and spillovers from direct foreign investment: Evidence from establishment data,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(1), pages 53-73.
- Sjöholm, Fredrik, 1997. "Technology Gap, Competition and Spillovers from Direct Foreign Investment: Evidence from Establishment Data," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 212, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Salvador Barrios & Eric Strobl, 2002. "Foreign direct investment and productivity spillovers: Evidence from the Spanish experience," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 138(3), pages 459-481, September.
- Haddad, Mona & Harrison, Ann, 1993. "Are there positive spillovers from direct foreign investment? : Evidence from panel data for Morocco," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 51-74, October.
- Ari Kokko, 1996. "Productivity spillovers from competition between local firms and foreign affiliates," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(4), pages 517-530.
- Jamal Bouoiyour & Velayoudom Marimoutou & Serge Rey, 2004. "Taux de change reel d'equilibre et politique de change au Maroc : une approche non parametrique," Economie Internationale, CEPII research center, issue 97, pages 81-104.
- Fontoura, Maria Paula & Flôres Junior, Renato Galvão & Santos, Rogério Guerra, 2000. "Foreign direct investment spillovers: what can we learn from portuguese data?," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 366, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Bouoiyour, Jamal & Toufik, Said, 3/01.
"Productivité des industries manufacturières marocaines et investissements directs étrangers
[Productivity in Moroccan manufacturing and foreign direct investment]," MPRA Paper 38097, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kokko, Ari, 1994. "Technology, market characteristics, and spillovers," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 279-293, April.
- Ronald Findlay, 1978. "Relative Backwardness, Direct Foreign Investment, and the Transfer of Technology: A Simple Dynamic Model," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 92(1), pages 1-16.
- Bouoiyour, jamal, 2003.
"Système National d’Innovation au Maroc
[National Innovation System In Morocco]," MPRA Paper 29303, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bouoiyour, Jamal, 2004. "Foreign direct investment in Morocco," MPRA Paper 31457, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:37035. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.