Foreign direct investment in Morocco
In this paper, we first compare the characteristics of Moroccan and foreign manufacturing firms between 1987 and 1996, and finds, as expected, that the latter perform better in terms of productivity, are technologically more advanced and more export-oriented, and pay higher wages than the former. Second, based on ongoing research, we suggest that foreign presence may have a positive impact on Moroccan productivity but that the relationship depends on local absorptive capacity or the technological gap (i.e. distance between foreign and local firms in terms of total factor productivity). It would appear that the larger the technological gap, the greater the spillover, up to a certain point. One interesting implication is that the effects of FDI may vary greatly across industries. This line of research deserves further investigation and may call for more appropriate sectoral policy response to foster spillovers between foreign and local firms
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in “Foreign Direct Investment in Developing Countries: Leveraging the Role of Multinationals”.Agence Française de Développement and Institut Français des Relations Internationales (2004): pp. 149-167|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bouoiyour, Jamal, 2007. "The determining factors of foreign direct investment in Morocco," MPRA Paper 37326, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Haddad, Mona & Harrison, Ann, 1993. "Are there positive spillovers from direct foreign investment? : Evidence from panel data for Morocco," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 51-74, October.
- repec:pra:mprapa:37325 is not listed on IDEAS
- Isabel Proença & Maria Paula Fontoura & Nuno Crespo, 2002. "Productivity Spillovers from Multinational Corporations in the Portuguese Case: Evidence from a Short Time Period Panel Data," Working Papers Department of Economics 2002/06, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Wang, Jian-Ye & Blomstrom, Magnus, 1992.
"Foreign investment and technology transfer : A simple model,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 137-155, January.
- Magnus Blomstrom & Jian-Ye Wang, 1989. "Foreign Investment and Technology Transfer: A Simple Model," NBER Working Papers 2958, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jamal bouoiyour & Al Akhawayn, 2005. "Labour Productivity, Technological Gap and Spillovers Evidence from Moroccan Manufacturing Industries," The African Finance Journal, Africagrowth Institute, vol. 7(2), pages 1-17.
- Bouoiyour, Jamal & Toufik, Said, 2003.
"Productivité des industries manufacturières marocaines et investissements directs étrangers
[Productivity in Moroccan manufacturing and foreign direct investment]," MPRA Paper 38097, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:31457. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.