Endogenous specialization of heterogeneous innovative activities of firms under technological spillovers
This paper proposes a reduced form model of dynamic duopoly in the context of heterogeneous innovations framework. Two agents invest into product and process innovations simultaneously. Every newly introduced product has its own dimension of process-improving innovations and there is a continuum of possible new products. In the area of process innovations the costless imitation effect is modelled while in the area of product innovations agents are cooperating with each other. As a result the specialization of innovative activity is observed. This specialization arises from strategic interactions of agents in both fields of innovative activity and is endogenously defined from the dynamics of the model.
|Date of creation:||15 Dec 2011|
|Date of revision:||15 Dec 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- d'Aspremont, Claude & Jacquemin, Alexis, 1988.
"Cooperative and Noncooperative R&D in Duopoly with Spillovers,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 78(5), pages 1133-1137, December.
- d'ASPREMONT, Claude & JACQUEMIN, Alexis, "undated". "Cooperative and noncooperative R&D in duopoly with spillovers," CORE Discussion Papers RP 823, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Aghion, Philippe & Howitt, Peter, 1992.
"A Model of Growth through Creative Destruction,"
Econometric Society, vol. 60(2), pages 323-351, March.
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1989. "A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction," Working papers 527, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Aghion, Philippe & Howitt, Peter, 1992. "A Model of Growth Through Creative Destruction," Scholarly Articles 12490578, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1990. "A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction," DELTA Working Papers 90-12, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Philippe Aghion & Peter Howitt, 1990. "A Model of Growth Through Creative Destruction," NBER Working Papers 3223, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1989. "A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 8904, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Anton Bondarev, 2012.
"The long-run dynamics of product and process innovations for a multi-product monopolist,"
Economics of Innovation and New Technology,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(8), pages 775-799, November.
- Bondarev, Anton A., 2010. "The long run Dynamics of heterogeneous Product and Process Innovations for a Multi Product Monopolist," MPRA Paper 35195, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 26 Nov 2011.
- Kenneth L. Judd, 2003.
"Closed-loop equilibrium in a multi-stage innovation race,"
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 21(2), pages 673-695, March.
- Kenneth L. Judd, 1985. "Closed-Loop Equilibrium in a Multi-Stage Innovation Race," Discussion Papers 647, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Rosenkranz, Stephanie, 2003. "Simultaneous choice of process and product innovation when consumers have a preference for product variety," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 183-201, February.
- Bondarev, Anton, 2012. "Product and quality innovations: an optimal control approach," Center for Mathematical Economics Working Papers 439, Center for Mathematical Economics, Bielefeld University.
- Reinganum, Jennifer F, 1982. "A Dynamic Game of R and D: Patent Protection and Competitive Behavior," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 671-688, May.
- Dawid, Herbert & Greiner, Alfred & Zou, Benteng, 2010.
"Optimal foreign investment dynamics in the presence of technological spillovers,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 296-313, March.
- Herbert Dawid & Alfred Greiner & Benteng Zou, 2008. "Optimal Foreign Investment Dynamics in the Presence of Technological Spillovers," CREA Discussion Paper Series 08-07, Center for Research in Economic Analysis, University of Luxembourg.
- Dasgupta, Partha & Stiglitz, Joseph, 1980. "Industrial Structure and the Nature of Innovative Activity," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 90(358), pages 266-293, June.
- Motta, Massimo & Thisse, Jacques-Francois & Cabrales, Antonio, 1997.
"On the Persistence of Leadership or Leapfrogging in International Trade,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 38(4), pages 809-824, November.
- Motta, M. & Thisse, J.-F. & Cabrales, A., "undated". "On the persistence of leadership or leapfrogging in international trade," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1287, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Massimo MOTTA & Jean-François THISSE & Antonio CABRALES, 1996. "On the Persistence of Leadership or Leapfrogging in International Trade," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 9625, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Cabrales, Antonio & Motta, Massimo & Thisse, Jacques-François, 1995. "On the Persistence of Leadership or Leapfrogging in International Trade," CEPR Discussion Papers 1106, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nancy T. Gallini, 1992. "Patent Policy and Costly Imitation," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 23(1), pages 52-63, Spring.
- Baveja, A. & Feichtinger, G. & Hartl, R.F. & Haunschmied, J.L. & Kort, P.M., 1999.
"A Resource-Constrained Optimal Control Model for Crackdown on Illicit Drug Markets,"
1999-85, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Baveja, A. & Feichtinger, G. & Hartl, R.F. & Haunschmied, J.L. & Kort, P.M., 2000. "A resource-constrained optimal control model for crackdown on illicit drug markets," Other publications TiSEM 15ffe163-821b-458a-80ef-d, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Romer, Paul M, 1990. "Endogenous Technological Change," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages 71-102, October.
- Glenn C. Loury, 1979.
"Market Structure and Innovation,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 93(3), pages 395-410.
- Glenn C. Loury, 1976. "Market Structure and Innovation," Discussion Papers 256, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Luca Lambertini & Andrea Mantovani, 2010. "Process and product innovation: A differential game approach to product life cycle," International Journal of Economic Theory, The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 6(2), pages 227-252.
- L. Lambertini & A. Mantovani, 2004. "Process and Product Innovation: a Differential Game Approach to Product Life Cycle," Working Papers 529, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Navas, Jorge & Kort, Peter M., 2007. "Time to complete and research joint ventures: A differential game approach," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 1672-1696, May.
- Navas, J. & Kort, P.M., 2005. "Time to Complete and Research Joint Ventures : A Differential Game Approach," Discussion Paper 2005-29, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Kort, P.M. & Navas, J., 2007. "Time to complete and research joint ventures : A differential game approach," Other publications TiSEM dd168bd0-a3f8-43f8-b809-3, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Dockner,Engelbert J. & Jorgensen,Steffen & Long,Ngo Van & Sorger,Gerhard, 2000. "Differential Games in Economics and Management Science," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521637329, May.
- Pietro Peretto & Michelle Connolly, 2007. "The Manhattan Metaphor," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 12(4), pages 329-350, December.
- Cellini, Roberto & Lambertini, Luca, 2002. "A differential game approach to investment in product differentiation," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 51-62, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:35424. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.