The long run Dynamics of heterogeneous Product and Process Innovations for a Multi Product Monopolist
This paper introduces the dynamical framework which combines product and process innovations. The model contributes to the theoretical literature on innovations in two ways. First, it permits for the simultaneous dynamics of both types of innovations which is rarely considered in the literature. Second, the products being generated by the innovations are heterogeneous in their investment characteristics. This allows for the formation of the dynamic interdependency between both types of innovations. As a result the steady state levels of process innovations for each product are different and influence the dynamics of product innovations in turn.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2010|
|Date of revision:||26 Nov 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:pra:mprapa:2863 is not listed on IDEAS
- Richard Gilbert & Carl Shapiro, 1990.
"Optimal Patent Length and Breadth,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 21(1), pages 106-112, Spring.
- Hopenhayn, Hugo A & Mitchell, Matthew F, 2001. "Innovation Variety and Patent Breadth," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 32(1), pages 152-66, Spring.
- L. Lambertini, 2008.
"Optimal Product Proliferation in Monopoly: A Dynamic Analysis,"
648, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Luca Lambertini, 2009. "Optimal Product Proliferation in Monopoly: A Dynamic Analysis," Review of Economic Analysis, Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, vol. 1(1), pages 80-97, September.
- Susan Athey & Armin Schmutzler, 1995. "Product and Process Flexibility in an Innovative Environment," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 26(4), pages 557-574, Winter.
- Fabbri, Giorgio & Iacopetta, Maurizio, 2007. "Dynamic Programming, Maximum Principle and Vintage Capital," MPRA Paper 5115, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Luca Lambertini & Raimondello Orsini, 2001. "Network Externalities and the Overprovision of Quality by a Monopolist," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 67(4), pages 969-982, April.
- Boucekkine, Raouf, et al, 1998.
" Creative Destruction, Investment Volatility, and the Average Age of Capital,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 3(4), pages 361-84, December.
- BOUCEKKINE, Raouf & GERMAIN, Marc & LICANDRO, Omar & MAGNUS, Alphonse, . "Creative destruction, investment volatility, and the average age of capital," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1376, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Nicholas Crafts, 2010. "Cliometrics and technological change: a survey," The European Journal of the History of Economic Thought, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(5), pages 1127-1147.
- Dockner,Engelbert J. & Jorgensen,Steffen & Long,Ngo Van & Sorger,Gerhard, 2000. "Differential Games in Economics and Management Science," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521637329.
- Jan Boone, 2000.
"Competitive Pressure: The Effects on Investments in Product and Process Innovation,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 31(3), pages 549-569, Autumn.
- Boone, J., 2000. "Competitive pressure : The effects on investments in product and process innovation," Other publications TiSEM 88418185-7603-4c36-92fd-3, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Chryssochoidis, George M., 2003. "Factors affecting product innovations: A literature review," Agricultural Economics Review, Greek Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 4(1), January.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977.
"Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 297-308, June.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1975. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 64, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Fabbri, Giorgio & Gozzi, Fausto, 2006. "Vintage Capital in the AK growth model: a Dynamic Programming approach. Extended version," MPRA Paper 7334, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:35195. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.