Real Exchange Rate Behavior: New Evidence with Linear and Non-linear Endogenous Break(s)
Using monthly frequency data from 1981 to 2005, we test for the potential mean reversion of Japan-US real exchange rates using newly improved unit root tests allowing for endogenous (unknown) break(s) in the linear as well as non-linear manner. Both countries have contributed vital proportion in global trading on top of being the major trading partner to each other since 1960s. We identify structural breaks in 1985 and 1994 respectively via the Lumsdaine and Papell (1997)’s linear test, but the results were against the PPP hypothesis. The Saikkonen and LÄutkepohl, (2002)’s test, however, provides sufficient supports for non-linear adjustment of real exchange towards long run PPP. In addition, stronger evidence for PPP is found in the post-1994 period, in conjunction with the small persistence of real exchange deviations (half-life less than a year). Also, the exchange rate misalignment is less evident after the Plaza Accord 1985. In brief, our findings reveal that the Japanese authority has shown some form of PPP-oriented rule as a basis for their exchange rate policies, in the presence of structural break(s) and non-linearity.
|Date of creation:||28 Apr 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mototsugu Shintani, 2006.
"A nonparametric measure of convergence towards purchasing power parity,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(5), pages 589-604.
- Mototsugu Shintani, 2002. "A Nonparametric Measure of Convergence Toward Purchasing Power Parity," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers 0219, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics, revised Jul 2004.
- Mototsugu Shintani, 2003. "A Nonparametric Measure of Convergence Toward Purchasing Power Parity," Levine's Working Paper Archive 506439000000000172, David K. Levine.
- Papell, David H., 2002.
"The great appreciation, the great depreciation, and the purchasing power parity hypothesis,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 51-82, June.
- David Papell, 1998. "The Great Appreciation, the Great Depreciation, and the Purchasing Power Parity Hypothesis," Working Papers 30, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Mark, Nelson C., 1990. "Real and nominal exchange rates in the long run: An empirical investigation," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1-2), pages 115-136, February.
- Saikkonen, Pentti & L tkepohl, Helmut, 2002.
"Testing For A Unit Root In A Time Series With A Level Shift At Unknown Time,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(02), pages 313-348, April.
- Saikkonen, Pentti & Lütkepohl, Helmut, 1999. "Testing for a unit root in a time series with a level shift at unknown time," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1999,72, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Helmut Luetkepohl & Pentti Saikkonen, 2000. "Testing for a Unit Root in a Time Series with a Level Shift at Unknown Time," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0342, Econometric Society.
- Lothian, James R. & Taylor, Mark P., 1997. "Real exchange rate behavior," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 945-954, December.
- Janine Aron & Ibrahim Elbadawi & Brian Kahn, 1998.
"Determinants of the real exchange rate in South Africa,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
1997-16, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Janine Aron & Ibrahim Elbadawi and Brian Kahn, 1997. "Determinants of the real exchange rate in South Africa," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/1997-16, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Mark P. Taylor, 2003. "Purchasing Power Parity," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(3), pages 436-452, 08.
- Rappoport, Peter & Reichlin, Lucrezia, 1989.
"Segmented Trends and Non-stationary Time Series,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(395), pages 168-77, Supplemen.
- Ben-David, Dan & Lumsdaine, Robin L & Papell, David, 1996. "The Unit Root Hypothesis in Long-term Output: Evidence from Two Structural Breaks for 16 Countries," CEPR Discussion Papers 1336, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ahmad Zubaidi Baharumshah & Raj Aggarwal & Chan Tze Haw, 2007.
"East Asian Real Exchange Rates and PPP: New Evidence from Panel-data Tests,"
Global Economic Review,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(2), pages 103-119.
- Baharumshah, Ahmad Zubaidi & Aggarwal, Raj & Chan, Tze-Haw, 2005. "East Asian Real Exchange Rates and PPP: New Evidence from panel-data tests," MPRA Paper 2023, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2007.
- Aggarwal, Raj & Mougoue, Mbodja, 1996. "Cointegration among Asian currencies: Evidence of the increasing influence of the Japanese yen," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 291-308, September.
- Murray, Christian J. & Papell, David H., 2002.
"The purchasing power parity persistence paradigm,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 1-19, January.
- Christian J. Murray & David H. Papell, 2000. "The Purchasing Power Parity Persistence Paradigm," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0017, Econometric Society.
- Ken Froot & Kenneth Rogoff, .
"Perspectives on PPP and Long-Run Real Exchange Rates,"
32027, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Froot, Kenneth A. & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1995. "Perspectives on PPP and long-run real exchange rates," Handbook of International Economics, in: G. M. Grossman & K. Rogoff (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 32, pages 1647-1688 Elsevier.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Kenneth Rogoff, 1994. "Perspectives on PPP and Long-Run Real Exchange Rates," NBER Working Papers 4952, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hakkio, Craig S., 1984. "A re-examination of purchasing power parity : A multi-country and multi-period study," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3-4), pages 265-277, November.
- Chinn, Menzie D., 2000.
"Before the fall: were East Asian currencies overvalued?,"
Emerging Markets Review,
Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 101-126, September.
- Menzie D. Chinn, 1998. "Before the Fall: Were East Asian Currencies Overvalued?," NBER Working Papers 6491, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Liew, Venus Khim-sen & Baharumshah, Ahmad Zubaidi & Chong, Terence Tai-leung, 2004.
"Are Asian real exchange rates stationary?,"
Elsevier, vol. 83(3), pages 313-316, June.
- Robin L. Lumsdaine & David H. Papell, 1997.
"Multiple Trend Breaks And The Unit-Root Hypothesis,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 79(2), pages 212-218, May.
- Tom Doan, . "LPUNIT: RATS procedure to implement Lumsdaine-Papell unit root test with structural breaks," Statistical Software Components RTS00110, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Lanne, Markku & Lütkepohl, Helmut & Saikkonen, Pentti, 2001.
"Test procedures for unit roots in time series with level shifts at unknown time,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
2001,39, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Markku Lanne & Helmut Lutkepohl & Pentti Saikkonen, 2003. "Test Procedures for Unit Roots in Time Series with Level Shifts at Unknown Time," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 65(1), pages 91-115, February.
- Wu, Yangru, 1996. "Are Real Exchange Rates Nonstationary? Evidence from a Panel-Data Test," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 28(1), pages 54-63, February.
- Kenneth Rogoff, 1996. "The Purchasing Power Parity Puzzle," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 34(2), pages 647-668, June.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen, 1993. "Purchasing power parity based on effective exchange rate and cointegration: 25 LDCs' experience with its absolute formulation," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 1023-1031, June.
- Papell, David H., 1997. "Searching for stationarity: Purchasing power parity under the current float," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(3-4), pages 313-332, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:3406. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.