Estimating the output gap for the Maltese economy
An attempt is made in this paper to arrive at an estimate of the output gap for the Maltese economy on a quarterly and annual basis. Two approaches are adopted, namely the Hodrick-Prescott filter and the aggregate production function method, with their results being benchmarked with the results of two other studies. The methods adopted in this paper indicate that the Maltese economy passed through three separate business cycles during the last three decades, with the size of the fluctuations moderating over time. Potential output growth is estimated to have declined significantly during the nineties, as factors of production are growing by a smaller margin. This indicates the importance of carrying out structural reforms that would boost productivity growth.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nelson, Edward & Nikolov, Kalin, 2003.
"UK inflation in the 1970s and 1980s: the role of output gap mismeasurement,"
Journal of Economics and Business,
Elsevier, vol. 55(4), pages 353-370.
- Edward Nelson & Kalin Nikolov, 2001. "UK inflation in the 1970s and 1980s: the role of output gap mismeasurement," Bank of England working papers 148, Bank of England.
- Nelson, Edward & Nikolov, Kalin, 2001. "UK Inflation in the 1970s and 1980s: The Role of Output Gap Mismeasurement," CEPR Discussion Papers 2999, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- José A. Hernández & Ignacio Mauleón, 2002. "Estimating the Capital Stock," Documentos de trabajo conjunto ULL-ULPGC 2002-03, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas de la ULPGC.
- Claude Giorno & Pete Richardson & Deborah Roseveare & Paul van den Noord, 1995. "Estimating Potential Output, Output Gaps and Structural Budget Balances," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 152, OECD Publishing.
- Grech, Aaron George, 2003. "Assessing employment in Malta," MPRA Paper 33380, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Karim Abadir & Gabriel Talmain, .
"Depreciation Rates and Capital Stocks,"
98/3, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Döpke, Jörg & Chagny, Odile, 2001. "Measures of the Output Gap in the Euro-Zone: An Empirical Assessment of Selected Methods," Kiel Working Papers 1053, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- St-Amant, P. & van Norden, S., 1997. "Measurement of the Output Gap: A Discussion of Recent Research at the Bank of Canada," Technical Reports 79, Bank of Canada.
- Grech, Aaron George, 2003. "Employment and the labour input in the Maltese economy," MPRA Paper 33383, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Paula De Masi, 1997. "IMF Estimates of Potential Output; Theory and Practice," IMF Working Papers 97/177, International Monetary Fund.
- Cécile Denis & Kieran Mc Morrow & Werner Röger, 2002. "Production function approach to calculating potential growth and output gaps - estimates for the EU Member States and the US," European Economy - Economic Papers 2008 - 2015 176, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Odile Chagny & Jörg Döpke, 2001. "Measures of the Output Gap in the Euro-Zone: An Empirical Assessment of Selected Methods," Vierteljahrshefte zur Wirtschaftsforschung / Quarterly Journal of Economic Research, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 70(3), pages 310-332.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:33663. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.