A different look at aglomeration effects in Spain
This paper explores the relationship between productivity and labour density at the municipality level for the Spanish economy and year 2001. Previous results on the mentioned relationship are confirrmed. Whilst agglomeration e¤ects at NUTs-3 level were important along the 1960s and 1970s, they seem to have disappeared along the second half of the 1980s. We show that agglomeration e¤ects are still present, nonetheless when analysed at a higher degree of geographical disaggregation. Recent amendments in regional governance and the creation of Comunidades Autónomas implying a higher degree of political and economic decentralization along the 1980s may have resulted in this change in agglomeration patterns. Endogeneity problems associated to estimation of productivity elasticities with respect to labour densities are taken into account by means of instrumental variable (IV) regressions. To this respect, elevation turns out to be a valid and attractive instrument for the agglomeration variable. Also we test if proximity to labour dense areas may also have a positive efect on the productivity level of a given municipality. The results show that agglomeration forces mainly operate within NUTs-3 regions the oldest administrative regional division of Spain.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:||2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brülhart, Marius & Mathys, Nicole Andréa, 2007.
"Sectoral Agglomeration Economies in a Panel of European Regions,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6410, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Brülhart, Marius & Mathys, Nicole A., 2008. "Sectoral agglomeration economies in a panel of European regions," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 348-362, July.
- Marius BRÜLHART & Nicole A. MATHYS, 2007. "Sectoral Agglomeration Economies in a Panel of European Regions," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 07.04, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Pierre-Philippe Combes & Gilles Duranton & Laurent Gobillon & Sébastien Roux, 2008.
"Estimating Agglomeration Economies With History, Geology, And Worker Effects,"
- Pierre-Philippe Combes & Gilles Duranton & Laurent Gobillon & Sébastien Roux, 2010. "Estimating Agglomeration Economies with History, Geology, and Worker Effects," NBER Chapters, in: Agglomeration Economics, pages 15-66 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pierre-Philippe Combes & Gilles Duranton & Laurent Gobillon & Sébastien Roux, 2008. "Estimating Agglomeration Economies with History, Geology and Worker Effects," Working Papers 2008-22, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Combes, Pierre-Philippe & Duranton, Gilles & Gobillon, Laurent & Roux, Sébastien, 2008. "Estimating Agglomeration Economies with History, Geology, and Worker Effects," CEPR Discussion Papers 6728, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pierre-Philippe Combes & Gilles Duranton & Laurent Gobillon & Sébastien Roux, 2010. "Estimating agglomeration economies with history, geology and worker effects," Post-Print halshs-00754795, HAL.
- Ronald L. Moomaw, 1981. "Productivity and City Size: A Critique of the Evidence," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 96(4), pages 675-688.
- Patricia Rice & Anthony J. Venables, 2004.
"Spatial Determinants of Productivity: Analysis for the Regions of Great Britain,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0642, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Rice, Patricia & Venables, Anthony J. & Patacchini, Eleonora, 2006. "Spatial determinants of productivity: Analysis for the regions of Great Britain," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 727-752, November.
- Patricia Rice & Tony Venables, 2004. "Spatial determinants of productivity: analysis for the regions of Great Britain," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2040, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Rice, Patricia & Venables, Anthony J, 2004. "Spatial Determinants of Productivity: Analysis for the Regions of Great Britain," CEPR Discussion Papers 4527, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Federico Cingano & Fabiano Schivardi, 2004.
"Identifying the Sources of Local Productivity Growth,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 2(4), pages 720-742, 06.
- Federico Cingano & Fabiano Schivardi, 2003. "Identifying the Sources of Local Productivity Growth," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 474, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Elisabet Viladecans-Marsal, 2004. "Agglomeration economies and industrial location: city-level evidence," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 4(5), pages 565-582, November.
- Dekle, Robert & Eaton, Jonathan, 1999. "Agglomeration and Land Rents: Evidence from the Prefectures," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 200-214, September.
- Antonio Ciccone & Robert E. Hall, 1995.
"Productivity and the density of economic activity,"
Economics Working Papers
120, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Pontus Braunerhjelm & Benny Borgman, 2004. "Geographical Concentration, Entrepreneurship and Regional Growth: Evidence from Regional Data in Sweden, 1975-99," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(8), pages 929-947.
- Goerlich Gisbert Francisco J. & Mas Ivars Matilde (ed.), 2006. "La localización de la población española sobre el territorio. Un siglo de cambios: un estudio basado en series homogéneas (1900-2001)," Books, Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation, number 201154.
- Lourens Broersma & Jouke van Dijk, 2008. "The effect of congestion and agglomeration on multifactor productivity growth in Dutch regions," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(2), pages 181-209, March.
- Ottaviano, Gianmarco I.P. & Pinelli, Dino, 2006. "Market potential and productivity: Evidence from Finnish regions," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 636-657, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:33601. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.