Reflections on the Preferential Liberalization of Services Trade
This paper takes stock of the forces that lie behind the recent rise of preferential agreements in services trade. Its initial focus is with a number of distinguishing features of services trade that sets it apart from trade in goods and shapes trade liberalization and rule-making approaches in the services field. The paper then documents the nature, modal and sectoral incidence of the trade and investment preferences spawned by PTAs in services. It does so with a view to addressing the question of how “preferential” is the preferential treatment of services trade? Finally, the paper addresses a number of considerations arising from attempts to multilateralize preferential access and rule-making in services trade.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mattoo, Aaditya & Fink, Carsten, 2002. "Regional agreements and trade services - policy issues," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2852, The World Bank.
- Bernard Hoekman & Pierre Sauvé, 1994. "Regional and Multilateral Liberalization of Service Markets: Complements or Substitutes?," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(3), pages 283-318, 09.
- Aaditya Mattoo & Pierre Sauve, 2003. "Domestic Regulation and Service Trade Liberalization," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15081.
- Cadot, Olivier & Estevadeordal, Antoni & Suwa-Eisenmann, Akiko & Verdier, Thierry (ed.), 2006. "The Origin of Goods: Rules of Origin in Regional Trade Agreements," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199290482, December.
- Sébastien Miroudot & Jehan Sauvage & Marie Sudreau, 2010. "Multilateralising Regionalism: How Preferential Are Services Commitments in Regional Trade Agreements?," OECD Trade Policy Papers 106, OECD Publishing.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:32816. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.