In the mood for redistribution. An empirical analysis of individual preferences for redistribution in Italy
Over the past few years a large body of literature has studied the determinants of individual preferences for income equality and redistributive policies. In this paper, using data from the World Values Survey (WVS), we specifically focus on the preferences expressed by Italians and analyse their determinants. We verify a number of factors, usually found to impact individual attitudes towards equality and redistribution, and demonstrate that self-interest evaluations, together with the personal system of beliefs, do influence this kind of personal attitudes. The results also seem to suggest that living in a specific regional context may play a significant role in conditioning personal attitudes.
|Date of creation:||30 Jun 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:110:y:1995:i:3:p:551-84 is not listed on IDEAS
- Alesina, Alberto F & La Ferrara, Eliana, 2002.
"Preferences for Redistribution in the Land of Opportunities,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3155, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alesina, Alberto & La Ferrara, Eliana, 2005. "Preferences for redistribution in the land of opportunities," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(5-6), pages 897-931, June.
- Alberto Alesina & Eliana La Ferrara, 2001. "Preferences for Redistribution in the Land of Opportunities," NBER Working Papers 8267, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alberto Alesina & Eliana La Ferrara, . "Preferences for Redistribution in the Land of Opportunities," Working Papers 178, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Alberto Alesina & Eliana La Ferrara, 2001. "Preferences for Redistribution in the Land of Opportunities," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1936, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Boarini, Romina & Le Clainche, Christine, 2009. "Social preferences for public intervention: An empirical investigation based on French data," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 115-128, January.
- repec:pse:psecon:2008-41 is not listed on IDEAS
- Alberto Alesina & Nicola Fuchs-Schündeln, 2007. "Goodbye Lenin (or Not?): The Effect of Communism on People," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(4), pages 1507-1528, September.
- repec:hal:psewpa:halshs-00586260 is not listed on IDEAS
- Fumio Ohtake & Jun Tomioka, 2004.
"Who Supports Redistribution?,"
ISER Discussion Paper
0603, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Fong, Christina, 2001. "Social preferences, self-interest, and the demand for redistribution," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 225-246, November.
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:116:y:2001:i:2:p:447-487 is not listed on IDEAS
- Elvire Guillaud, 2008. "Preferences for redistribution: a European comparative analysis," PSE - Labex "OSE-Ouvrir la Science Economique" halshs-00586260, HAL.
- Scheve, Kenneth & Stasavage, David, 2006. "Religion and Preferences for Social Insurance," Quarterly Journal of Political Science, now publishers, vol. 1(3), pages 255-286, July.
- Erzo F. P. Luttmer & Monica Singhal, 2011.
"Culture, Context, and the Taste for Redistribution,"
American Economic Journal: Economic Policy,
American Economic Association, vol. 3(1), pages 157-79, February.
- Luttmer, Erzo F. P. & Singhal, Monica, 2008. "Culture, Context, and the Taste for Redistribution," Working Paper Series rwp08-038, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Erzo F.P. Luttmer & Monica Singhal, 2008. "Culture, Context, and the Taste for Redistribution," NBER Working Papers 14268, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00586260 is not listed on IDEAS
- Richard Williams, 2006. "Generalized ordered logit/partial proportional odds models for ordinal dependent variables," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 6(1), pages 58-82, March.
- Schwarze, Johannes & Härpfer, Marco, 2003. "Are People Inequality Averse, and Do They Prefer Redistribution by the State? A Revised Version," IZA Discussion Papers 974, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- La Ferrara, Eliana & Alesina, Alberto, 2005. "Preferences for Redistribution in the Land of Opportunities," Scholarly Articles 4552533, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Edlund, Lena Cecilia & Haider, Laila & Pande, Rohini, 2004.
"Unmarried Parenthood and Redistributive Politics,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4478, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:32049. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.