A time-scale analysis of systematic risk: wavelet-based approach
The paper studies the impact of different time-scales on the market risk of individual stock market returns and of a given portfolio in Paris Stock Market by applying the wavelet analysis. To investigate the scaling properties of stock market returns and the lead/lag relationship between them at different scales, wavelet variance and crosscorrelations analyses are used. According to wavelet variance, stock returns exhibit long memory dynamics. The wavelet cross-correlation analysis shows that comovements between stock returns are stronger at higher scales (lower frequencies); scales corresponding to period of 4 months and longer, i.e. scales 7 and 8. The wavelet analysis of systematic risk shows that all individual assets and the diversified portfolio have a multi-scale behavior, which indicates that the systematic risk measured by Beta in the market model is not stable over time. The analysis of VaR at different time scales shows that risk is more concentrated at higher frequencies dynamics (lower time scales) of the data.
|Date of creation:||28 Jun 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luisa Tibiletti & Simone Farinelli, 2003. "Upside and downside risk with a benchmark," Atlantic Economic Journal, Springer;International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 31(4), pages 387-387, December.
- In, Francis & Kim, Sangbae, 2006. "Multiscale hedge ratio between the Australian stock and futures markets: Evidence from wavelet analysis," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 411-423, October.
- Sharkasi, Adel & Crane, Martin & Ruskin, Heather J. & Matos, Jose A., 2006. "The reaction of stock markets to crashes and events: A comparison study between emerging and mature markets using wavelet transforms," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 368(2), pages 511-521.
- Marco Gallegati, 2005. "Stock market returns and economic activity: evidence from wavelet analysis," Macroeconomics 0512016, EconWPA.
- Masih, Mansur & Alzahrani, Mohammed & Al-Titi, Omar, 2010. "Systematic risk and time scales: New evidence from an application of wavelet approach to the emerging Gulf stock markets," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 10-18, January.
- Xiaodong Du & Dermot J. Hayes & Cindy L. Yu, 2010.
"Dynamics of Biofuel Stock Prices: A Bayesian Approach,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 93(2), pages 418-425.
- Xiaodong Du & Dermot J. Hayes & Cindy L. Yu, 2009. "Dynamics of Biofuel Stock Prices: A Bayesian Approach," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 09-wp498, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Du, Xiaodong & Hayes, Dermot J. & Yu, Cindy, 2010. "Dynamics of Biofuel Stock Prices: A Bayesian Approach," Staff General Research Papers Archive 31533, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Ramsey, James B. & Zhang, Zhifeng, 1997. "The analysis of foreign exchange data using waveform dictionaries," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 341-372, December.
- William F. Sharpe, 1963. "A Simplified Model for Portfolio Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 9(2), pages 277-293, January.
- Durai, S. Raja Sethu & Bhaduri, Saumitra N., 2009. "Stock prices, inflation and output: Evidence from wavelet analysis," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 1089-1092, September.
- Fatma Sine Tepe & Xiaodong Du & David A. Hennessy, 2009.
"Impact of Biofuels Policy on Agribusiness Stock Prices, The,"
Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications
09-wp497, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Fatma Sine Tepe & Xiaodong Du & David A. Hennessy, 2009. "Impact of Biofuels Policy on Agribusiness Stock Prices, The," Midwest Agribusiness Trade Research and Information Center (MATRIC) Publications 09-wp497, Midwest Agribusiness Trade Research and Information Center (MATRIC) at Iowa State University.
- Fernandez, Viviana, 2006. "The CAPM and value at risk at different time-scales," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 203-219.
- Boubaker Heni & Boutahar Mohamed, 2011. "A wavelet-based approach for modelling exchange rates," Statistical Methods & Applications, Springer;Società Italiana di Statistica, vol. 20(2), pages 201-220, June.
- Gencay, Ramazan & Selcuk, Faruk & Whitcher, Brandon, 2005. "Multiscale systematic risk," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 55-70, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:31938. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.