Impact of Monetary Policy on the Volatility of Stock Market in Pakistan
This paper addresses the linkages between the monetary policy and the stock market in Pakistan. The estimation technique employed includes Engle Granger two step procedure and the bivariate EGARCH method. The results indicate that any change in the monetary policy stance have a significant impact on the volatility of the stock market. Thus contributing to the ongoing debate in the monetary policy rule literature regarding the proactive and reactive approach.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in International Journal of Business and Social Science 11.2(2011): pp. 18-24|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Husain, Fazal & Qayyum, Abdul, 2006.
"Stock Market Liberalisations in the South Asian Region,"
1716, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fazal Husain & Abdul Qayyum, 2006. "Stock Market Liberalisations in the South Asian Region," Finance Working Papers 22195, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Ray Fair, 2003.
"Events that Shook the Market,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm307, Yale School of Management.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
- A. Gregoriou & A. Kontonikas & R. MacDonald & A. Montagnoli, 2009.
"Monetary policy shocks and stock returns: evidence from the British market,"
Financial Markets and Portfolio Management,
Springer, vol. 23(4), pages 401-410, December.
- A Gregoriou & A Kontonikas & R MacDonald & A Montagnoli, 2006. "Monetary Policy Shocks and Stock Returns: Evidence from the British Market," Working Papers 2006_15, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Kenneth N. Kuttner, 2003.
"What explains the stock market's reaction to Federal Reserve policy?,"
174, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Kenneth N. Kuttner, 2003. "What explains the stock market's reaction to Federal Reserve policy?," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Mar.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Kenneth N. Kuttner, 2005. "What Explains the Stock Market's Reaction to Federal Reserve Policy?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(3), pages 1221-1257, 06.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Kenneth N. Kuttner, 2004. "What Explains the Stock Market's Reaction to Federal Reserve Policy?," NBER Working Papers 10402, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Kenneth N. Kuttner, 2004. "What explains the stock market's reaction to Federal Reserve policy?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2004-16, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Patelis, Alex D, 1997. " Stock Return Predictability and the Role of Monetary Policy," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(5), pages 1951-72, December.
- Christos Ioannidis & Alexandros Kontonikas, 2006. "Monetary Policy and the Stock Market: Some International evidence," Working Papers 2006_12, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:31188. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.