Identi�cation of jumps in �financial price series
The paper outlines and tests, by means of Monte-Carlo simulations, a simple strategy of using existing non-parametric tests for jumps at the daily frequency to identify jumps at higher sampling frequencies. The suggested strategy allow for identi�cation of the number of jumps and jump times during a day, as well as, the size and direction (negative or positive) of the jumps. The method is of importance in order to facilitate detailed empirical studies concerning, for example, causes for jumps in fi�nancial price series at �ner levels than the daily. The Monte Carlo study reveals that the strategy works reasonably well, particular for lower jump intensities. An application of the studied strategy on the Handelsbanken stock is provided.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Suzanne S. Lee & Per A. Mykland, 2008. "Jumps in Financial Markets: A New Nonparametric Test and Jump Dynamics," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 21(6), pages 2535-2563, November.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev & Francis X. Diebold, 2002.
"Parametric and Nonparametric Volatility Measurement,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0279, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev & Francis X. Diebold, 2002. "Parametric and Nonparametric Volatility Measurement," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 02-27, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Tim Bollerslev & Tzuo Hann Law & George Tauchen, 2007.
"Risk, Jumps, and Diversification,"
CREATES Research Papers
2007-19, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Xin Huang & George Tauchen, 2005. "The Relative Contribution of Jumps to Total Price Variance," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 3(4), pages 456-499.
- Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen & Neil Shephard, 2003.
"Power and bipower variation with stochastic volatility and jumps,"
2003-W17, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen, 2004. "Power and Bipower Variation with Stochastic Volatility and Jumps," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 2(1), pages 1-37.
- Neil Shephard & Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen, 2003. "Power and bipower variation with stochastic volatility and jumps," Economics Series Working Papers 2003-W18, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:30977. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.