Chocs externes et ajustements des taux de change réels européens
[External shocks and adjustment of European real exchange rates]
This paper asks whether external shocks (U.S. interest rates, U.S. industrial production, U.S. stocks prices and world industrial material price) have asymmetric effects on European relative prices (real exchange rates). On 1979-1993 period, the paper finds that two groups of countries may be distinguished; on one side Germany, France, Belgium and Netherlands; on another side, United Kingdom, Italy and Spain. The results imply misalignments in European real exchange rates when external shocks arise. Also, Europe is not an optimum currency area.
|Date of creation:||Jun 1995|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bela Balassa, 1964. "The Purchasing-Power Parity Doctrine: A Reappraisal," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 72, pages 584.
- Hamada, Koichi, 1976. "A Strategic Analysis of Monetary Interdependence," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(4), pages 677-700, August.
- Robert B. Litterman, 1984. "Forecasting and policy analysis with Bayesian vector autoregression models," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Fall.
- Charles Wyplosz & Jean Pisani-Ferry & Barry Eichengreen, 1994. "Pourquoi le SME a explosé et comment le relancer ?," Revue Économique, Programme National Persée, vol. 45(3), pages 673-688.
- Thomas Doan & Robert B. Litterman & Christopher A. Sims, 1983.
"Forecasting and Conditional Projection Using Realistic Prior Distributions,"
NBER Working Papers
1202, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thomas Doan & Robert B. Litterman & Christopher A. Sims, 1986. "Forecasting and conditional projection using realistic prior distribution," Staff Report 93, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- von Hagen, Jurgen & Neumann, Manfred J M, 1994.
"Real Exchange Rates within and between Currency Areas: How Far Away Is EMU?,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 76(2), pages 236-44, May.
- Neumann, Manfred J.M. & von Hagen, Jürgen, 1992. "Real Exchange Rates Within and Between Currency Areas: How Far Away is EMU?," CEPR Discussion Papers 660, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jean Pisani-Ferry & Barry Eichengreen & Charles Wyplosz, 1994. "Pourquoi le SME a explosé et comment le relancer ?," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 0(3), pages 673-688.
- Berglas, Eitan & Razin, Assaf, 1973. "Real exchange rate and devaluation," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 179-191, May.
- Charles Wyplosz, 1991. "On the real exchange rate effect of German unification," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 127(1), pages 1-17, March.
- Bayoumi, Tamim & Eichengreen, Barry, 1996. "Operationalizing the Theory of Optimum Currency Areas," CEPR Discussion Papers 1484, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Niehans, Jurg, 1981. "Static deviations from purchasing-power parity," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 57-68.
- Lawrence H. Officer, 1982. "The Relationship Between the Absolute and the Relative PPP Theory of Cassel," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 14(2), pages 251-255, Summer.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:30241. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.