Forecasting Australian Macroeconomic variables, evaluating innovations state space approaches
Innovations state space time series models that encapsulate the exponential smoothing methodology have been shown to be an accurate forecasting tool. These models for the first time are applied to Australian macroeconomic data. In addition new multivariate specifications are outlined and demonstrated to be accurate.
|Date of creation:||13 Dec 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hyndman, Rob J. & Khandakar, Yeasmin, 2008.
"Automatic Time Series Forecasting: The forecast Package for R,"
Journal of Statistical Software,
Foundation for Open Access Statistics, vol. 27(i03).
- Rob J. Hyndman & Yeasmin Khandakar, 2007. "Automatic time series forecasting: the forecast package for R," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 6/07, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Summers, Peter M., 2001. "Forecasting Australia's economic performance during the Asian crisis," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 499-515.
- Dungey, Mardi & Pagan, Adrian, 2000. "A Structural VAR Model of the Australian Economy," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 76(235), pages 321-42, December.
- de Silva, Ashton, 2007.
"A multivariate innovations state space Beveridge Nelson decomposition,"
5431, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- de Silva, Ashton & Hyndman, Rob J. & Snyder, Ralph, 2009. "A multivariate innovations state space Beveridge-Nelson decomposition," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 1067-1074, September.
- Sarantis Tsiaplias & Chew Lian Chua, 2008.
"Forecasting Australian Macroeconomic Variables Using a Large Dataset,"
Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series
wp2008n04, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Sarantis Tsiaplias & Chew Lian Chua, 2010. "Forecasting Australian Macroeconomic Variables Using A Large Dataset," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(1), pages 44-59, 03.
- Muhammad Akram & Rob J Hyndman & J. Keith Ord, 2008. "Exponential smoothing and non-negative data," Working Papers 2008-003, The George Washington University, Department of Economics, Research Program on Forecasting.
- Hyndman, R.J. & Koehler, A.B. & Snyder, R.D. & Grose, S., 2000.
"A State Space Framework for Automatic Forecasting Using Exponential Smoothing Methods,"
Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers
9/00, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Hyndman, Rob J. & Koehler, Anne B. & Snyder, Ralph D. & Grose, Simone, 2002. "A state space framework for automatic forecasting using exponential smoothing methods," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 439-454.
- Adams, Philip D. & Dixon, Peter B. & McDonald, Daina & Meagher, G. A. & Parmenter, Brian R., 1994. "Forecasts for the Australian economy using the MONASH model," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 557-571, December.
- Stock J.H. & Watson M.W., 2002. "Forecasting Using Principal Components From a Large Number of Predictors," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 97, pages 1167-1179, December.
- Gardner, Everette Jr., 2006. "Exponential smoothing: The state of the art--Part II," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 637-666.
- Leu, Shawn Chen-Yu & Sheen, Jeffrey, 2011.
"A small New Keynesian state space model of the Australian economy,"
Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 672-684.
- Leu, Shawn Chen-Yu & Sheen, Jeffrey, 2011. "A small New Keynesian state space model of the Australian economy," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(1-2), pages 672-684, January.
- Taylor, James W., 2003. "Exponential smoothing with a damped multiplicative trend," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 715-725.
- Makridakis, Spyros & Hibon, Michele, 2000. "The M3-Competition: results, conclusions and implications," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 451-476.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:27411. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.