Industrialization, economic and employment structure changes in Vietnam during economic transition
This paper presents the effects of industrialization on economic and employment structure during the economic transition in Vietnam. Although Vietnam has made a significant progress in changing economic structure in which the share of agricultural contribution in GDP has dramatically decreased over the last two decades, the employment structure changed slowly. Consequently, majority of labour force is still in the agricultural sector. The economic reform has failed to shift redundant workers away from agricultural sector since most of the country’s investment has been allocated to capital-intensive industries. Therefore, policy adjustments are needed to absorb more redundant workers from agricultural sector and improve living standards for rural households.
|Date of creation:||25 Nov 2010|
|Date of revision:||25 Nov 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John McMillan & Christopher Woodruff, 2002. "The Central Role of Entrepreneurs in Transition Economies," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(3), pages 153-170, Summer.
- Midmore, D. J. & Jansen, H. G. P., 2003. "Supplying vegetables to Asian cities: is there a case for peri-urban production?," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 13-27, February.
- Belser, Patrick, 2000. "Vietnam - on the road to labor-intensive growth ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2389, The World Bank.
- Bryceson, Deborah Fahy, 1996. "Deagrarianization and rural employment in sub-Saharan Africa: A sectoral perspective," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 97-111, January.
- Heberer, Thomas & Kohl, Arno & Lai, Tuong & Nguyen Duc Vinh, 1999. "Aspects of private sector development in Vietnam," Duisburger Arbeitspapiere Ostasienwissenschaften 24/1999, University of Duisburg-Essen, Institute of East Asian Studies IN-EAST.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:26979. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.