A Gender Perspective on Elderly Work in Vietnam
Using data from the Vietnam Household Living Standard Survey (VHLSS) in 2006, this paper analyzes the current working status of the Vietnamese elderly and identifies the determinants of working status differentiated by gender. In general, our estimated results from various logit models show that, regardless of gender, older elderly, elderly living in northern and southern regions and urban areas, in households with more working-age people, in households receiving social security benefits, and in households with higher income tended to work less than did other elderly groups. Educational level and remittance receipt did not have any significant impact on elderly work. We also find that male elderly are more likely to work than females, but that the determinants of working status do not vary greatly by gender. Based on these findings, we formulate policy priorities toward the elderly, in which we emphasize the importance of policies to implement a comprehensive social security scheme to cope with an expected aging population, as well as to create jobs for working-age people in the still relatively young country.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baulch, Bob & Truong Thi Kim Chuyen & Haughton, Dominique & Haughton, Jonathan, 2002. "Ethnic minority development in Vietnam : a socioeconomic perspective," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2836, The World Bank.
- Giang, Thanh Long & Pfau, Wade Donald, 2009. "An Exploration for a Universal Non-contributory Pension Scheme in Vietnam," MPRA Paper 24947, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Giang, Thanh Long & Pfau, Wade Donald, 2007. "The Elderly Population in Vietnam during Economic Transformation: An Overview," MPRA Paper 24948, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Giang, Thanh Long & Pfau, Wade Donald, 2007. "Patterns and Determinants of Living Arrangements for the Elderly in Vietnam," MPRA Paper 24949, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Giang Thanh Long & Wade Donald Pfau, 2008. "Ageing, Poverty, and the Role of a Social Pension in Vietnam," GRIPS Discussion Papers 10-09, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies, revised Jul 2010.
- Pfau, Wade Donald & Giang, Thanh Long, 2008.
"Gender and Remittance Flows in Vietnam during Economic Transformation,"
18859, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wade D. Pfau & Giang Thanh Long, 2008. "Gender and Remittance Flows in Vietnam During Economic Transformation," GRIPS Discussion Papers 08-06, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies.
- Long T. Giang & Wade D. Pfau, 2009. "Vulnerability of Vietnamese Elderly to Poverty: Determinants and Policy Implications ," Asian Economic Journal, East Asian Economic Association, vol. 23(4), pages 419-437, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:24946. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.