Remittances, Living Arrangements, and the Welfare of the Elderly
During a time of rapid economic transformation in Vietnam, we examine two possibilities for elderly support: living together with children and receiving remittances. Our analysis uses four household surveys conducted in Vietnam between 1992 and 2004. With the highly detailed 1997/98 survey, we find that 73.1 percent of Vietnamese elderly are living with children and 34.8 percent were either receiving remittances directly or married to a recipient. From our logistic regression analysis, we can further determine that living with children and remittances both serve continuing roles for elderly support, and our findings suggest that expanding the pension system in Vietnam can potentially play an important role in reducing elderly poverty without crowding out these other support mechanisms.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giang, Thanh Long & Pfau, Wade Donald, 2007. "Patterns and Determinants of Living Arrangements for the Elderly in Vietnam," MPRA Paper 24949, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Giang, Thanh Long & Pfau, Wade Donald, 2007. "The Elderly Population in Vietnam during Economic Transformation: An Overview," MPRA Paper 24948, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Long T. Giang & Wade D. Pfau, 2009. "Vulnerability of Vietnamese Elderly to Poverty: Determinants and Policy Implications ," Asian Economic Journal, East Asian Economic Association, vol. 23(4), pages 419-437, December.
- Wade D. Pfau & Giang Thanh Long, 2008.
"Gender and Remittance Flows in Vietnam During Economic Transformation,"
GRIPS Discussion Papers
08-06, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies.
- Pfau, Wade Donald & Giang, Thanh Long, 2008. "Gender and Remittance Flows in Vietnam during Economic Transformation," MPRA Paper 18859, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pfau, Wade Donald, 2008.
"Groups Excluded from ‘Representative’ Household Surveys: An Analysis Based on Remittances Sent and Received in Vietnam,"
19040, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wade Donald Pfau & Giang Thanh Long, 2008. "Groups Excluded from ‘Representative’ Household Surveys: An Analysis Based on Remittances Sent and Received in Vietnam," GRIPS Discussion Papers 08-15, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies.
- Giang Thanh Long & Wade Donald Pfau, 2008. "Ageing, Poverty, and the Role of a Social Pension in Vietnam," GRIPS Discussion Papers 10-09, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies, revised Jul 2010.
- Pfau, Wade Donald, 2008. "Determinants and Impacts of International Remittances on Household Welfare in Vietnam," MPRA Paper 19038, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Margaret E. Grosh & Paul Glewwe, 1998. "Data Watch: The World Bank's Living Standards Measurement Study Household Surveys," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(1), pages 187-196, Winter.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:19121. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.