Local governments opting for PPPs in the schools sector
The Portuguese government recently launched a new program to refurbish the secondary schools all over the country. Along with this process more responsibilities are being transferred to local governments concerning pre and elementary schools. This is seen as the main motivation for the settlement of new local public private partnerships (PPP) within this sector. This paper discusses the public private partnerships (PPP) contracts in the Portuguese schools sector. Four national cases and a foreign experience are analysed. In this study, some of the sound practices presented in the literature are highlighted; we argue that some of these practices are not being applied in this sector in Portugal. A risk analysis for the schools sector was developed, hoping to contribute towards an increasing number of partnerships reaching the best possible value for money (VfM). Furthermore, we suggest several contract management guidelines and draw up some improvement proposals. We conclude that there is a need to enhance the transparency of the procurement phase, to normalise the contractual documents, and to assure a better risk allocation as well as an improved monitoring of the contract.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Patrick Bajari & Robert S. McMillan & Steve Tadelis, 2003.
"Auctions Versus Negotiations in Procurement: An Empirical Analysis,"
NBER Working Papers
9757, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steven Tadelis, 2009. "Auctions Versus Negotiations in Procurement: An Empirical Analysis," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 25(2), pages 372-399, October.
- Patrick Bajari & Robert McMillan & Steven Tadelis, . "Auctions versus Negotiations in Procurement: An Empirical Analysis," Working Papers 02007, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Marques, Rui Cunha & Berg, Sanford V, 2010. "Revisiting the strengths and limitations of regulatory contracts in infrastructure industries," MPRA Paper 32890, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- J. Luis Guasch, 2004. "Granting and Renegotiating Infrastructure Concessions : Doing it Right," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15024, May.
- Eoin Reeves & James Ryan, 2007.
"Piloting Public-Private Partnerships: Expensive Lessons from Ireland's Schools' Sector,"
Public Money & Management,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(5), pages 331-338, November.
- Eoin Reeves & James Ryan, 2007. "Piloting Public-Private Partnerships: Expensive Lessons from Ireland's Schools' Sector," Public Money & Management, Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy, vol. 27(5), pages 331-338, November.
- Stern, J., 2000. "Electricity and telecommunications regulatory institutions in small and developing countries," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 131-157, September.
- Bing Li & A. Akintoye & P. J. Edwards & C. Hardcastle, 2005. "Critical success factors for PPP/PFI projects in the UK construction industry," Construction Management and Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 23(5), pages 459-471.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:22558. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.