Textile Producer Cotton Imports and the Exchange Rate
This paper estimates exchange rate sensitivity of US cotton imports for three textile producers with floating or regularly adjusting exchange rates since the 1970s, Bangladesh, Indonesia, and Thailand. The cotton import market model includes mill use, US production cost, and an alternate supply. Empirical analysis examines effects of the Asian financial crisis. Exchange rate behavior and sensitivity varies across the three importers. Aggregation hides information on market reaction. Changes in the rate of depreciation have stronger effects than changes in the level of the exchange rate.
|Date of creation:||01 Mar 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roe, Terry L. & Shane, Mathew & Somwaru, Agapi, 2006.
"Exchange Rates, Foreign Income and U.S. Agriculture,"
12975, University of Minnesota, Economic Development Center.
- Shane, Mathew & Roe, Terry L. & Somwaru, Agapi, 2006. "Exchange Rates, Foreign Income, and U.S. Agriculture," Conference Papers 6686, University of Minnesota, Center for International Food and Agricultural Policy.
- Bayard, Budry & Chen, Lijun & Thompson, Henry, 2007. "Free Trade and a Case of Local Tomato Production," Agricultural Economics Review, Greek Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 8(2), June.
- Thompson, Henry & Upadhyaya, Kamal P., 1998. "The Impact of the Exchange Rate on Local Industry," Economia Internazionale / International Economics, Camera di Commercio di Genova, vol. 51(1), pages 101-113.
- Almarwani, Abdul & Jolly, Curtis M. & Thompson, Henry, 2007. "Exchange Rates and Commodity Markets: Global Exports of Corn, Cotton, Poultry, and Soybeans," Agricultural Economics Review, Greek Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 8(1), January.
- Titus O. Awokuse & Yan Yuan, 2006. "The impact of exchange rate volatility on U.S. poultry exports," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(2), pages 233-245.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:21831. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.