Exchange Rates and Commodity Markets: Global Exports of Corn, Cotton, Poultry, and Soybeans
The effects of exchange rates and risk on major commodity exporters are examined in markets constructed from the top five importers and top three exporters from 1961 to 2000. Depreciation typically stimulates exports but the impacts vary considerably. Exchange risk has virtually no negative impacts. Importer incomes raise exports for about half the exporters, and major competitor market shares affect about half the exporters.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zakoian, Jean-Michel, 1994. "Threshold heteroskedastic models," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 931-955, September.
- Jolly, Curtis M. & Jefferson-Moore, Kenrett Y. & Traxler, Greg, 2005.
"Consequences of Biotechnology Policy for Competitiveness and Trade of Southern U.S. Agriculture,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 37(02), August.
- Jolly, Curtis & Jefferson-Moore, Kenrett Y. & Traxler, Greg, 2005. "Consequences of Biotechnology Policy for Competitiveness and Trade of Southern U.S. Agriculture," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 37(02), pages 393-407, August.
- Ethier, Wilfred, 1973. "International Trade and the Forward Exchange Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 63(3), pages 494-503, June.
- Cushman, David O., 1983. "The effects of real exchange rate risk on international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1-2), pages 45-63, August.
- Pinelopi K. Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1995.
"Measuring the Intensity of Competition in Export Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
5226, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Goldberg, Pinelopi Koujianou & Knetter, Michael M., 1999. "Measuring the intensity of competition in export markets," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 27-60, February.
- Thompson, Henry & Upadhyaya, Kamal P., 1998. "The Impact of the Exchange Rate on Local Industry," Economia Internazionale / International Economics, Camera di Commercio Industria Artigianato Agricoltura di Genova, vol. 51(1), pages 101-113.
- Thomas Klitgaard & James A. Orr, 1998. "Evaluating the price competitiveness of U.S. exports," Current Issues in Economics and Finance, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, vol. 4(Feb).
- Udo Broll & Bernhard Eckwert, 1999. "Exchange Rate Volatility and International Trade," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 66(1), pages 178-185, July.
- Kenen, Peter B & Rodrik, Dani, 1986. "Measuring and Analyzing the Effects of Short-term Volatility in Real Exchange Rates," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(2), pages 311-315, May.
- O. Cushman, David, 1986. "Has exchange risk depressed international trade? The impact of third-country exchange risk," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 361-379, September.
- Darren Hudson & Don Ethridge, 2000. "Competitiveness of Agricultural Commodities in the United States: Expanding Our View," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(5), pages 1219-1223.
- Sven W. Arndt & J. David Richardson, 1987. "Real-Financial Linkages Among Open Economies," NBER Working Papers 2230, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sayed H. Saghaian & Michael R. Reed & Mary A. Marchant, 2002. "Monetary Impacts and Overshooting of Agricultural Prices in an Open Economy," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(1), pages 90-103.
- Cushman, David O., 1988. "U.S. bilateral trade flows and exchange risk during the floating period," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3-4), pages 317-330, May.
- Chowdhury, Abdur R, 1993. "Does Exchange Rate Volatility Depress Trade Flows? Evidence from Error-Correction Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(4), pages 700-706, November.
- Fang, WenShwo & Lai, YiHao & Thompson, Henry, 2007. "Exchange rates, exchange risk, and Asian export revenue," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 237-254.
- Paul De Grauwe, 1988. "Exchange Rate Variability and the Slowdown in Growth of International Trade," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(1), pages 63-84, March.
- Orden, David, 2002.
"Exchange Rate Effects On Agricultural Trade,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 34(02), August.
- S. E. Grigsby & C. A. Arnade, 1986. "The Effect of Exchange Rate Distortions on Grain Export Markets, The Case of Argentina," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 68(2), pages 434-440.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aergaa:42144. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.