A Meta-Analysis of the Relationship between Debt and Growth
Can debt be used to finance growth? This question has stimulated a number of research papers, seminars and conferences. To date, however, no clear answer to the question is available. This paper attempts to answer the question using meta-analysis. Meta-analysis allows researchers to combine the results from both published and un-published research to gain insights regarding the directional and statistical significance of the relationship between the two variables. The results from the study should be of interest to policymakers and academics.
|Date of creation:||28 Apr 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- S M Ali Abbas & Jakob E Christensen, 2010.
"The Role of Domestic Debt Markets in Economic Growth: An Empirical Investigation for Low-Income Countries and Emerging Markets,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 57(1), pages 209-255, April.
- S. M. Ali Abbas & Jakob Christensen, 2007. "The Role of Domestic Debt Markets in Economic Growth; An Empirical Investigation for Low-Income Countries and Emerging Markets," IMF Working Papers 07/127, International Monetary Fund.
- Robert E. Looney & P.C. Frederiksen, 1986. "Defense Expenditures, External Public Debt and Growth in Developing Countries," Journal of Peace Research, Peace Research Institute Oslo, vol. 23(4), pages 329-337, December.
- Krugman, Paul, 1988.
"Financing vs. forgiving a debt overhang,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 253-268, November.
- Ralf Hepp, 2008.
"Can Debt Relief Buy Growth?,"
Fordham Economics Discussion Paper Series
dp2008-22, Fordham University, Department of Economics.
- Bjerg, Christina & Bjørnskov, Christian & Holm, Anne, 2011.
"Growth, debt burdens and alleviating effects of foreign aid in least developed countries,"
European Journal of Political Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 143-153, March.
- Bjerg, Christina & Bjørnskov, Christian & Holm, Anne, 2007. "Growth, Debt Burdens and Alleviating Effects of Foreign Aid in Least Developed Countries," Working Papers 07-1, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Helene Poirson Ward & Luca Antonio Ricci & Catherine A. Pattillo, 2004. "What Are the Channels Through Which External Debt Affects Growth?," IMF Working Papers 04/15, International Monetary Fund.
- John Weeks, 2000. "Latin America and the 'high performing Asian economies': growth and debt," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(5), pages 625-654.
- Oks, Daniel & van Wijnbergen, Sweder, 1995.
"Mexico after the debt crisis: is growth sustainable?,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 155-178, June.
- Oks, Daniel & van Wijnbergen, Sweder, 1994. "Mexico after the debt crisis : is growth sustainable?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1378, The World Bank.
- Andrea PRESBITERO, 2005.
"The Debt-Growth Nexus: a Dynamic Panel Data Estimation,"
243, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Presbitero Andrea F., 2006. "The Debt-Growth Nexus: a Dynamic Panel Data Estimation," Rivista italiana degli economisti, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 3, pages 417-462.
- repec:spr:pharme:v:22:y:2004:i:4:p:225-244 is not listed on IDEAS
- Tito Cordella & Luca Antonio Ricci & Marta Ruiz-Arranz, 2005. "Debt Overhang or Debt Irrelevance? Revisiting the Debt-Growth Link," IMF Working Papers 05/223, International Monetary Fund.
- Card, David & Krueger, Alan B, 1995. "Time-Series Minimum-Wage Studies: A Meta-analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(2), pages 238-43, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:21474. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.