Consumer Preferences in Monopolistic Competition Models
This paper develops a novel approach to modeling preferences in monopolistic competition models with a continuum of goods. In contrast to the commonly used CES preferences, which do not capture the effects of consumer income and the intensity of competition on equilibrium prices, the present preferences can capture both effects. I show that under an unrestrictive regularity assumption, the equilibrium prices decrease with the total mass of available goods (which represents the intensity of competition in the model) and increase with consumer income. The former implies that the entry of firms in the market or opening a country to international trade has a pro-competitive effect that decreases equilibrium prices.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Philip Sauré, 2009. "Bounded Love of Variety and Patterns of Trade," Working Papers 2009-10, Swiss National Bank.
- van den Berg, Gerard J., 2007.
"On the uniqueness of optimal prices set by monopolistic sellers,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 482-491, December.
- van den Berg, Gerard J, 2005. "On the Uniqueness of Optimal Prices Set by Monopolistic Sellers," CEPR Discussion Papers 5166, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Reto Foellmi & Josef Zweimï¿½ller, "undated".
"Income Distribution and Demand-induced Innovations,"
IEW - Working Papers
212, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Reto Foellmi & Josef Zweimuller, 2006. "Income Distribution and Demand-Induced Innovations," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 73(4), pages 941-960.
- Foellmi, Reto & Zweimüller, Josef, 2005. "Income Distribution and Demand-Induced Innovations," CEPR Discussion Papers 4985, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tarasov, Alexander, 2007.
"Income Distribution, Market Structure, and Individual Welfare,"
7682, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jan 2008.
- Tarasov Alexander, 2009. "Income Distribution, Market Structure, and Individual Welfare," The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 9(1), pages 1-39, December.
- Tarasov, Alexander, 2009. "Income distribution, market structure, and individual welfare," Munich Reprints in Economics 19578, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- David L. Hummels & Volodymyr Lugovskyy, 2008.
"International pricing in a generalized model of ideal variety,"
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), pages -.
- David Hummels & Volodymyr Lugovskyy, 2009. "International Pricing in a Generalized Model of Ideal Variety," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 41(s1), pages 3-33, 02.
- Perloff, Jeffrey M & Salop, Steven, 1984.
"Equilibrium with product differentiation,"
Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series
qt4cq0m6s3, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Marc J. Melitz & Gianmarco I. P. Ottaviano, 2008.
"Market Size, Trade, and Productivity,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 75(1), pages 295-316.
- Ottaviano, Gianmarco & Melitz, Marc, 2008. "Market Size, Trade, and Productivity," Scholarly Articles 3229096, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Marc J. Melitz & Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano, 2005. "Market Size, Trade, and Productivity," Development Working Papers 201, Centro Studi Luca d'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Marc J. Melitz & Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano, 2005. "Market Size, Trade, and Productivity," NBER Working Papers 11393, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Verhoogen, Eric A, 2007.
"Trade, Quality Upgrading and Wage Inequality in the Mexican Manufacturing Sector,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6385, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Verhoogen, Eric, 2007. "Trade, Quality Upgrading and Wage Inequality in the Mexican Manufacturing Sector," IZA Discussion Papers 2913, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ina Simonovska, 2011.
"Income Differences and Prices of Tradables,"
1015, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Ina Simonovska, 2009. "Income Differences and Prices of Tradables," 2009 Meeting Papers 692, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Ina Simonovska, 2010. "Income differences and prices of tradables," Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper 55, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977.
"Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 297-308, June.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1975. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 64, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:19990. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.