Financing Development in Africa: Trends, Issues and Challenges
Access to finance is critical to successful development in Africa. This paper presents recent trends in various aspects of development finance and provides a critical assessment of the costs of meeting the Millennium Development Goals in the region. It also examines recent proposals for financing the MDGs. Furthermore, it examines the key international commitments made to Africa as well as the extent to which donors have fulfilled these commitments. Finally, it examines issues and challenges arising from recent initiatives on aid and debt.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter S. Heller, 2005. "Understanding Fiscal Space," IMF Policy Discussion Papers 05/4, International Monetary Fund.
- Nannyonjo, Justine, 2001. "The HIPC Debt Relief Initiative: Uganda's Social Sector Reforms and Outcomes," WIDER Working Paper Series 138, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Robert Lensink & Oliver Morrissey, 2000. "Aid instability as a measure of uncertainty and the positive impact of aid on growth," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(3), pages 31-49.
- Jan Willem Gunning & Paul Collier, 1999. "Explaining African Economic Performance," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(1), pages 64-111, March.
- Sanjeev Gupta & Catherine Pattillo & Smita Wagh, 2006. "Are Donor Countries Giving More or Less Aid?," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(3), pages 535-552, August.
- Osakwe, Patrick N., 2006. "Emerging Issues and Concerns of African Countries in the WTO Negotiations on Agriculture and the Doha Round," MPRA Paper 1850, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- William Easterly & Ross Levine & David Roodman, 2003. "New Data, New doubts: A Comment on Burnside and Dollar's "Aid, Policies, and Growth" (2000)," NBER Working Papers 9846, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cooper, Richard, 2005. "A Half-Century of Development," Scholarly Articles 3677048, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Catherine Pattillo & Hélène Poirson & Luca Antonio Ricci, 2011. "External Debt and Growth," Review of Economics and Institutions, Università di Perugia, vol. 2(3).
- Sanjeev Gupta & Catherine A Pattillo & Smita Wagh, 2006. "Are Donor Countries Giving More or Less Aid?," IMF Working Papers 06/1, International Monetary Fund.
- Devarajan, Shantayanan & Miller, Margaret J. & Swanson, Eric V., 2002. "Goals for development : history, prospects and costs," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2819, The World Bank.
- François Bourguignon & Mark Sundberg, 2006. "Constraints to Achieving the MDGs with Scaled-Up Aid," Working Papers 15, United Nations, Department of Economics and Social Affairs.
- Steve Radelet, 2006. "A Primer on Foreign Aid," Working Papers 92, Center for Global Development.
- Sanjay G. Reddy & Antoine Heuty, 2006. "Achieving the Millennium Development Goals: What’s wrong with existing analytical models?," Working Papers 30, United Nations, Department of Economics and Social Affairs.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:1815. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.