Recession in the Skilled Sector and Implications for Informal Wage
Global recession is likely to hit the skilled sector or the so-called white goods, white collared sector in a typical developing economy. In this paper we try to analyze the impact of such an event on informal wage as the vast majority of the workforce in the developing world is employed in the unorganized or informal sector. In particular, we demonstrate the analytical possibility that a recession in the skilled sector will actually increase real informal wage.
|Date of creation:||30 Apr 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marjit, Sugata, 2003. "Economic reform and informal wage--a general equilibrium analysis," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 371-378, October.
- Eli Berman & John Bound & Zvi Griliches, 1993. "Changes in the Demand for Skilled Labor within U.S. Manufacturing Industries: Evidence from the Annual Survey of Manufacturing," NBER Working Papers 4255, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kar, Saibal & Marjit, Sugata, 2009. "Urban informal sector and poverty," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 631-642, October.
- Pinelopi Koujianou Goldberg & Nina Pavcnik, 2007.
"The Effects of the Colombian Trade Liberalization on Urban Poverty,"
in: Globalization and Poverty, pages 241-290
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pinelopi Koujianou Goldberg & Nina Pavcnik, 2005. "The Effects of the Colombian Trade Liberalization on Urban Poverty," NBER Working Papers 11081, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sarbajit Chaudhuri & Ujjaini Mukhopadhyay, 2002. "Economic liberalization and welfare in a model with an informal sector," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 10(1), pages 143-172, March.
- Funkhouser, Edward, 1997. "Demand-Side and Supply-Side Explanations for Barriers to Labor Market Mobility in Developing Countries: The Case of Guatemala," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 45(2), pages 341-66, January.
- David Card & John E. DiNardo, 2002.
"Skill-Biased Technological Change and Rising Wage Inequality: Some Problems and Puzzles,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 20(4), pages 733-783, October.
- David Card & John E. DiNardo, 2002. "Skill Biased Technological Change and Rising Wage Inequality: Some Problems and Puzzles," NBER Working Papers 8769, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brambila Macias, Jose, 2008.
"The Dynamics of Parallel Economies. Measuring the Informal Sector in México,"
8400, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Macias, Jose Brambila & Cazzavillan, Guido, 2009. "The dynamics of parallel economies. Measuring the informal sector in Mexico," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(3), pages 189-199, September.
- José Brambila Macias & Guido Cazzavillan, 2008. "The Dynamics of Parallel Economies. Measuring the Informal Sector in México," Working Papers 2008_42, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Marjit, Sugata & Kar, Saibal & Acharyya, Rajat, 2007. "Agricultural prospects and informal wage in general equilibrium," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 380-385, May.
- Lehmann, Hartmut & Pignatti, Norberto, 2007.
"Informal Employment Relationships and Labor Market Segmentation in Transition Economies: Evidence from Ukraine,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3269, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hartmut Lehmann & Norberto Pignatti, 2008. "Informal Employment Relationships and Labor Market Segmentation in Transition Economies: Evidence from Ukraine," ESCIRRU Working Papers 3, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Ann Harrison, 2006.
"Globalization and Poverty,"
NBER Working Papers
12347, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dibyendu Maiti & Sugata Marjit, 2008. "Trade liberalization, production organization and informal sector of the developing countries," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(3), pages 453-461.
- Sarbajit Chaudhuri, 2003. "How and how far to liberalize a developing economy with informal sector and factor market distortions," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(4), pages 403-428.
- Funkhouser, Edward, 1997. "Mobility and Labor Market Segmentation: The Urban Labor Market in El Salvador," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 46(1), pages 123-53, October.
- Carruth, Alan A. & Oswald, Andrew J., 1981. "The determination of union and non-union wage rates," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 285-302.
- Chaudhuri, Sarbajit & Banerjee, Dibyendu, 2007. "Economic liberalization, capital mobility and informal wage in a small open economy: A theoretical analysis," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 924-940, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:18003. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.