Advertising and entry deterrence: how the size of the market matters
Schmalensee (1974) shows that, when the cost functions of the advertising e¤ort are linear, the monopoly position is only sustained when the advertising�s e¤ectiveness of the incumbent is relatively high. We show that this result does not hold in a more general nonlinear cost. The no-entry equilibrium may hold even when the relative e¤ectiveness of the incumbent is low. This happens when the size of the market is su¢ ciently low.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:||07 Feb 2007|
|Publication status:||Published in International Journal of Business and Economics 3.6(2007): pp. 199-206|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hirshleifer, Jack, 1995.
"Anarchy and Its Breakdown,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(1), pages 26-52, February.
- Scott Morton, Fiona M., 2000. "Barriers to entry, brand advertising, and generic entry in the US pharmaceutical industry," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 18(7), pages 1085-1104, October.
- Glenn Ellison & Sara Fisher Ellison, 2011.
"Strategic Entry Deterrence and the Behavior of Pharmaceutical Incumbents Prior to Patent Expiration,"
American Economic Journal: Microeconomics,
American Economic Association, vol. 3(1), pages 1-36, February.
- Glenn Ellison & Sara Fisher Ellison, 2007. "Strategic Entry Deterrence and the Behavior of Pharmaceutical Incumbents Prior to Patent Expiration," NBER Working Papers 13069, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nitzan, Shmuel, 1994. "Modelling rent-seeking contests," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 41-60, May.
- Richard Schmalensee, 1976. "A Model of Promotional Competition in Oligopoly," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 43(3), pages 493-507.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:17233. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.