Desempleo, pobreza y estrategias de protección social: Perú 1998-2005
[Unemployment, poverty and social protection strategies: Peru 1998-2005]
This paper uses information from a panel based on Peruvian National Household Surveys between 1998 and 2005 to quantitatively estimate the impacts that the loss of a job from a household member has. We find the following effects in the short run: a) reduces family income by 27%, b) reduces household’s real expenditures by 7%, c) diminishes the digested calories by 13%, and d) increases the probability of poverty by 44%. According to our results, the most effective strategy to mitigate these negative impacts on welfare would be an increase in the number of hours worked at the family level. Internal family transfers, receiving remittances from relatives abroad, and access to state social programs would be less effective. Finally, the benefit of the compensation for length of service (CTS) in the previous job would have no impact on halting the loss of welfare.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Javier Herrera & Gerardo David Rosas Shady, 2003.
"Labor Market Transitions in Peru,"
DT/2003/14, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- Javier Herrera & Gerardo David Rosas Shady, 2005. "Labor Market Transitions in Peru," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 109, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Gustavo Yamada, 2005. "Horas de Trabajo: Determinantes y dinámica en el Perú Urbano," Working Papers 05-05, Departamento de Economía, Universidad del Pacífico, revised Jul 2005.
- Gustavo Yamada (ed.), 2005. "Horas de trabajo: determinantes y dinámica en el Perú urbano," Books, Departamento de Economía, Universidad del Pacífico, edition 1, volume 1, number 05-13, 06.
- Gustavo Yamada, 2004. "Avances recientes," Chapters of Books,in: Gustavo Yamada (ed.), Economía laboral en el Perú: avances recientes y agenda pendiente, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 1, pages 11-42 Departamento de Economía, Universidad del Pacífico.
- Pritchett, Lant & Suryahadi, Asep & Sumarto, Sudarno, 2000. "Quantifying vulnerability to poverty - a proposed measure, applied to Indonesia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2437, The World Bank.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/4515 is not listed on IDEAS Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:15294. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.