[Institutional Causality of Soft Budget Constraints in Chinese Higher Education Sector and its Implications for Governance]
A wide range of financial distress has emerged in Chinese higher education sector, and this paper aims to explain it. We pointed out that soft budget constraint is the root cause of the financial distress; our main tasks are to identify the institutional causality of soft budget constraint and its applications for governance. We concluded three institutional causalities: quasi-public goods nature of higher educational serves; affiliated relationship between government and colleges; misaligned of the objection-incentive arrangement for college chairman. Based on the above three points, we provided some solutions to hardening the budget constraints.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Milton Friedman, 1997. "Public Schools: Make Them Private," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(3), pages 341-344.
- Janos Kornai & Eric Maskin & Gerard Roland, 2002.
"Understanding the Soft Budget Constraint,"
Economics Working Papers
0019, Institute for Advanced Study, School of Social Science.
- J. Kornai & E. Maskin & G. Roland., 2004. "Understanding the Soft Budget Constraint," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 11.
- J. Kornai & E. Maskin & G. Roland., 2004. "Understanding the Soft Budget Constraint," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 12.
- János Kornai & Eric Maskin & Gérard Roland, 2003. "Understanding the Soft Budget Constraint," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 41(4), pages 1095-1136, December.
- Kornai, Janos, 1998. "The Concept of the Soft Budget Constraint Syndrome in Economic Theory," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 11-17, March.
- Nicholas Barr, 2003. "Financing higher education: lessons from the UK debate," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 287, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:11500. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.